Jezebel In Hell

Jezebel In Hell

Author: Kyria

Rating: NC-17

Disclaimer: None of the characters are mine. None. Nada. Zip. Zero. That Joss guy owns them.

Summary: Set in S6/3 of BtVS and AtS. How Ky fixed the 'seasons of suck.'

Lyrics: Poe, Garbage, Alanis Morrisette & Sarah McLachlan

References to the Divine Comedy by Dante

Comments? Contact Kyria at the following address: kyria

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 1


Buffy's POV

Johnny, Angry Johnny, this is Jezebel in Hell I wanna kill you, I wanna blow you...away


He left me so I could have babies, sex and picnics in the sunlight… not necessarily in that order.

He lied.

He ran away from the temptation to let his soul free fall. As if I was the only thing in this world that would give him a moment of bliss. I suspected that if Angel didn't revert Angelus during the joyful moment of his son's fucking birth, he either wasn't capable of bliss or the curse was no longer an issue.

He had a goddamn baby without me….

I didn't hear it from Angel or even that tactless bitch Cordelia.

Nope; I overheard two vamps discussing the bounty a law firm had out on Angel Jr.'s head while I was shaking down Willy.

In a moment of unadulterated rage, I was tempted to collect the bounty.

What? I do have bills to pay ya' know. And the slayer gig may keep me busy, but it doesn't come close to keeping me in Prada.

It went like this: I was gripping Willy by the neck and threatening to beat him into next week when my attention was diverted by the aforementioned vamps. An inhuman sound burst out of me, something between a growl and a laugh.

I think it was the death knell of my soul.

From that moment on, I wasn't sure I had one. Enraged, I proceeded to rip the head off the first vamp. The second wasn't so lucky. Showered in vamp dust, I began beating him into a bloody pulp.

With every blow I imagined it was Angel's cold flesh that I was beating into the barroom floor.

I imagined it was Angel's heart that I plunged my stake into.

Why so pissed? I did everything I knew how for him. I lied to my family and friends. I killed (demons) to protect him. I took walks in fucking sewers. And late at night, when everyone else sleeps, I silently sob his name.

How did he repay me?

He violated all of the love I gave him by having a son with his sire.

Fuck this soul mate shit; I've had enough of it.

All I wanted to do was to melt into my pain and disappear. I had once. When I jumped through Glory's portal all of my pain, fear and hopelessness seared away in an electric blue moment of agony as I melted into heaven. But they wouldn't let me stay. Somehow I was back to this painful, meaningless existence where Angel had a baby with someone else.

What was the point?

*** Startled, Willow jumped on the couch as I slammed the front door. She put aside her laptop and got up to stretch.

"Buffy, you're home early."

"Going to LA; wanna come with?"

The red head blinked in surprise, "What about Dawn?"

I glanced up the stairway to the brat's lair and took a deep breath.

"Dawn is part of the reason we're going." I answered, as I turned to go upstairs. I approached the brat's door and knocked with a confused best friend trailing behind me.

"What!" A snotty teenaged voice yelled through the door.

"I need a few minutes to talk to you." I answered as the door opened. Dawn stood in the doorway defensively with her arms crossed.

"Fine, you have two minutes," she snapped.

I looked deep into the teenager's eyes, trying to remember why I took a flying leap to save her from a painful death. At the moment, nothing came to mind.

"Here is the two minute version: You have been through hell over the last year, and I don't blame you for the problems you are having right now. The issue is I have problems too; I can't handle both."

Dawn's eyes hardened, "You haven't handled anything since you came back. That's why Giles left… because he couldn't stand watching you screw up. To tell you the truth Buffy, I'm sick of watching it too." I took a deep breath to control the instinctive slayer urge to smack my younger sister into submission. Bad, Buffy!

I opened my eyes and felt a hard smile cross my face, one that demons have learned to fear. "I'm glad you see it that way. It makes this easier. You are going to LA to live with Dad. You have an hour to pack."

I turned my back on the brat, walked past Willow to my room, and shut the door. I heard Dawn's vicious screeching and a bedroom door slamming. I began sorting weapons; grabbing all the stakes available, a sword, and a Faith's knife. I decided to stop by the magic shop on the way out of town and see if there was anything I needed. A timid knocking on my bedroom door grabbed my attention and I went to answer it.

"Hey Will." I said calmly she nervously twirled a string from her poofy green sweater. Who was dressing her lately? I thought to myself as I turned and resumed packing. For some reason, I grabbed everything leather I owned.

"Buffy, Dawn is hysterical. She thinks you're getting rid of her…"

I raised an eyebrow, "She's being melodramatic; I'm taking her to live her father. I called his office from Willy's and told him to dust off the ole' parenting skills."

"But Buffy, she's your sister…"

"Exactly. She. Is. My. Sister. Not my child… my sister. This is one of those things I don't have to be responsible for. I have enough on my plate since returning from the dead; I can't handle both her and me." And Angel having a brat that isn't mine, I thought to myself.

Your Dad doesn't know anything about Glory or the key. How is he going to help her cope?"

"Think about this Willow: I'm hardly human anymore and her male influences are William the Bloody and Xander. Dad, in this case, is a far superior choice."

"What do you mean hardly human…" Willow asked defensively.

"I came back wrong," came my emotionless response as I continued packing.

"No? You didn't! You're just recovering from the shock…"

"Willow… Spike can hurt me."

Her eyes widened in fear, "The chip isn't working?"

"The chip works fine on everyone but me. I'm not human anymore, Will. I need to find out what that means. I feel hollow inside and it isn't getting better."

"It's my fault," Willow whispered.

"Yes, Willow. It is. If you want to make it up to me, come with and help me figure out what I am now. Please, Willow, I need you..."

"I'll come with you." She whispered with tears in her eyes as she hugged me, "Do you want me to leave Tara behind? She would understand."

"No, she's been like family to Dawn. She'd probably like to say good-bye." I looked at my watch, "We have a half and hour before we leave. Go get packing. And hey, LA is hot. Leave the sweaters at home."


*** Two hours later everyone piled into Mom's old jeep and headed towards the magic shop. We pulled up and made a mad rush for supplies.

"Hey Anya." Dawn said sullenly from the doorway, "It looks like I won't be seeing you anymore."

"Why is that?" Anya asked in concern, "Are you dying?"

"Might as well be." Dawn grumbled.

"She's going to live with her father," I snapped.

"Oh, I can see why you'd rather live with him. He has money! You will be able to use his MasterCard to acquire decent clothing. Buffy, sadly, is broke. Speaking of which… how are you paying for the supplies you're gathering?"

I slapped a few hundred dollars on the counter and went on helping

Willow gather provisions.

"Well, that's more like it. Is there anything I can do to help you part with more of your currency?"

I snapped sarcastically, "Can you tell me what happened to my soul?"

"No, I don't have that capacity. I do know a demon that reads souls… or did he read destinies?" Anya casually remarked as she put the money into the cash register.

I waited expectantly as she began dusting crystal balls on the shelf behind her.

"Well?" I asked exasperatedly.

"Well what?"

Willow and Tara glanced at me sympathetically.

"Where the hell is this fucking demon?"

"Really Buffy… you never used this much scatological language before. The demon is a good friend, so if I tell you how to find him promise you won't lose your temper and accidentally kill him."

"I promise." I growled, flipping my hair out of my eyes.

"His name is Lorne and he owns a bar in LA called Caritas. He usually wears an attractive white suite that compliments his lime green coloring. He is very attractive, but not as attractive as Xander." Anya said with a dreamy sigh.

"Anya, please tell Xander that we're heading to LA for a few weeks and we'll keep in touch in case anything goes wrong on the Hellmouth."

"Do I look like an answering machine? Call his apartment and leave a message."

God, there are times I wished she was still a demon so I could kick her ass, I thought as we left the shop. *** Angel's buzz vibrated through my stomach as soon as we reached the outer limits of LA. Instead of giving me a warm happy dizzy feeling, it made me nauseous. He was going to beg and crawl before this was over I decided as I pulled into my father's driveway.

My father was another man that I wouldn't mind plunging a stake through right now. I walked up to his door carrying Dawn's bags and dropped them on the stoop. The only time I had been her, Hank kept going on and on about the house being some sort of Tudor type architecture.

All I knew was it had three stories and an indoor pool in the walk out basement. I could barely make ends meet raising his daughter, and he lived like this.

I pounded on the door harder as bad thoughts about my father raced through my head; no answer. I leaned on the doorbell jamming it so it's chimes rang continuously.

"I'm coming damn it!" Came my father's yelled from behind the thick oak door.

The door opened and there stood my father.

"Ooops, the bell broke. Sorry." I said in my worst little girl voice.

"Buffy, I didn't expect you so soon."

"I told you we were on our way."

"Yes, but I have a dinner meeting tonight…"

"That's nice. Well, here are Dawn's bags and Dawn. The younger of your two daughters, in case you forgot." I said calmly as I turned and walked down the sidewalk of his house.

"Buffy, you aren't staying with her tonight?"

"Look Hank, I can't afford to raise your daughter. Mom left us nothing but medical bills. I have no choice but to relinquish custody of Dawn to you. If I don't we'll be in a homeless shelter by next week."

"Buffy, I had no idea it was that bad."

I laughed bitterly.

"How would you know? You didn't even send a card when Mom died, let alone call! Goodbye Hank, goodbye Dawn."

With that I walked away from them. *** I can do it you gently I can do it with an animal's grace I can do it with precision I can do it with gourmet taste

But either way Either (way), either way I wanna kill you I wanna blow you... Away


It was midnight before we found the bar. I admit we would have gotten there a lot sooner if I had let Tara drive. But it was my mother's vehicle, and I couldn't let someone else drive it. Too many things of mine had been taken away from me lately. Eternal rest, my soul, my lover, my peace of mind and I wasn't ready to give up my mom's Jeep.

Every nerve in my body was screaming at me as we walked into the bar. I took a deep breath and tried to let go of the nervous energy vibrating through my body.

"It looks like a bomb went off in here." Tara said as she glanced around at the charcoaled room.

"It did gorgeous." Came a voice from behind what used to be a bar.

"A-a-are you L-l-lorne?" Tara stuttered nervously at the green man with cute little horns in his hairline.

"I am, and aren't you a perfect little snow white next two these two vixens?"

I flinched at the odd demon's sugary communication style and took over, "Anyanka said to send her regards."

"Anyanka! How is my vengeance demoness? Oh the good old days…"

"She's doing well," Willow said warming up to the green horned one, "You know she is human now."

"No! You have to tell Uncle Lorne all about it…" he said patting a blackened chair in an invitation to sit down.

"Look, no offense, but we don't have time for this right now. I need you to read me and let me know if I'm still human and if I still have a soul. I have money…"

"For a friend of Anya, there's no charge."

He sighed as he walked up to a burnt out stage looking for something, "I'm afraid the karaoke machine may be a lost cause. Do you mind singing acappella?" He asked as he fiddled with the machine.

"I don't sing." I snapped, "All I want is to…."

"Look, my angry blond goddess, I have to hear you sing in order to read you. It's part of the package." He explained calmly as the machine came to life.

"God, Anya didn't say anything about singing!" I snapped.

Willow giggled as she looked at Tara, "I'm not sure you want to hear her…"

"You can't be worse than our local souled vampire." Lorne said distractedly earning a quick glance from Willow and I.

"Souled Vampire…" Willow began until Buffy halted her with a dirty look.

"Yeah, he's a pain, but he means well. He and his crew are the reason my place is a disaster and I can't get a decent Sea Breeze anymore." Lorne turned and addressed me, "Well sweetie, can't read you until you sing. By looking at you, I get angry girl music. Why don't you try this one?" He suggested as he pressed a few buttons.

"Fine." I grumped as familiar lyrics flashed on a broken down screen. I did like this song, I thought grudgingly. Hopefully I wouldn't make too big of a fool of myself.


You can look but you can't touch I don't think I like you much Heaven knows what a girl can do Heaven knows what you've got to prove I think I'm paranoid and complicated I think I'm paranoid, manipulate it

Bend me break me Anyway you need me All I want is you Bend me break me Breaking down is easy All I want is you

I fall down just to give you a thrill Prop me up with another pill If I should fail, if I should fold I nailed my faith to the sticking pole I think I'm paranoid, manipulate it I think I'm paranoid, too complicated

Bend me break me Anyway you need me All I want is you Bend me break me Breaking down is easy All I want is you I think I'm paranoid I think I'm paranoid

Bend me break me Anyway you need me All I want is you Bend me break me Breaking down is easy All I want is you

Steal me, deal me, anyway you heal me Maim me, tame me, you can never change me Love me, like me, come ahead and fight me Please me, tease me, go ahead and leave me Bend me break me Anyway you need me As long as I want you baby it's alright Bend me break me Anyway you need me As long as I want you baby it's alright


"Well, sweet pea, why didn't you say you knew Angel." The green demon groused after a few minutes silence.

"He isn't what I came for." I snapped, "I need to know what is going on with my soul; why I'm back from the dead."

"You know you aren't human anymore, or you wouldn't be here." Lorne said backing away from the moody slayer.

"What am I then?" I asked in a deceptively soft voice.

"Well, rest your fears about being a demon, you're not. Actually, you are the opposite. Lets say you've evolved. You're a brand new shiny species smack between an angel and a human. Andbythewayimmortal." He said edging further away.

I could feel the blood drain away from my face. I glared from Lorne to Willow.

Immortality wasn't a blessing in my opinion-- I could tell Lorne knew that.

"How immortal am I?"

"The PTBs have plans that didn't, and still don't, include you playing the martyr. Your immortality keeps that from happening again."

"What's a PTB?" It had to be a Hellmouth-y evil.

"Honey, the Powers That Be are the good guys! You know-- your bosses. They sent Angel to help you when you went to Sunnydale, they sent you the key to protect, they gave you friends as a support system. Do you think it was just a fluke you were the first slayer to ever have friends? The PTBs were with you in heaven. And your presence among the living? Not our red headed witch's fault. You and the PTBs made a deal when you were in heaven; you agreed to be here."

"What deal? I don't remember any deal! And if they're the ones that sent me Angel, I fucking quit." I roared, taking a menacing step towards Lorne.

"Calm down, sugar peeps…" Lorne begged, "Let me explain, or sum up. It isn't possible for the PTBs to place soul mates together in every lifetime. You and Angel have a small window of opportunity to grow individually this time. If that happens, you'll ascend to a higher plane of existence together."

There was a pause as I tried to follow and Lorne gathered the courage to go on.

"Now here's the bad part. If you two don't find a way to work out your differences, you'll have to spend two millennia waiting for another chance. The world would be a much better place if that didn't happen. You two have a job to do together."

"Could you be more vague? " I hissed, "And you didn't answer my question: Do I or don't I have a soul?"

Lorne looked surprised, "Of course you do. Didn't I say you're holy, or did I skip that part?"

I sobbed softly in relief; "I thought that I had lost my soul like Angel did."

Willow looked up, alarmed, "No, Buffy! You aren't anything like Angelus…"

"Thank God we'll never see that demon again. I'm glad Angel Cakes' soul became permanent before you got here." The green demon sighed as a cell phone started to ring. He slipped a hand in the breast pocket of his suit and answered it.

You could hear Willow and I snap to attention as we both yelled "What?"

"I said his soul is permanent, Buffy. Really, I'm talking on the phone here." And he went back to his conversation, "Yes, I said Buffy. Yes, she is short, gorgeous, blond and a slayer. Well, you didn't tell me it was a secret. Calm down, broody one. Umm, no she doesn't look like she wants to talk to you. No, I didn't tell her about Connor…. He wants to talk to you." Lorne said handing the phone to me.

Deep breaths, I thought to myself as I took the phone from Lorne, "What?"

"Buffy?" He said hesitantly. The pleasure I got from hearing his velvety voice pissed me off.

"Yes, Angel." His name came out as a caress and I hated myself for not being able to say his name without affection.

"I… I need your help…" He stuttered.

"What, having troubles with midnight feedings?" I snapped.

"You know?" he breathed shakily.

"Well, demon grapevine and all. They keep themselves from gossiping about the vampire who had a soul, didn't have a soul, fucked a slayer, lost his soul, got his soul back, went to hell, came back from hell, got lost in Pylea, knocked up his sire, and now has a bouncing baby boy."

I looked up, taking in Willow and Tara's shocked faces.

For some reason, the PTBs decided this was a good time to fill me in. Everything came together in my mind. Flashes of pictures and surround sound melodic voices explaining the deal with the PTBs cascaded through me. Images of Angel back from hell and me back from heaven. Our souls' energy twining together with such force Angel's soul soared into bliss.

We were meant to be here together… to fight together.

I wasted time wishing for something that wouldn't be instead of working to make my life whole. It was just like me to mourn my resurrection instead of celebrating my second chance at life. I had an opportunity to find some peace and maybe my way back to Angel. I had a chance to be with my soul's mate. What the hell was I bitching about anyway?

The moment ended as the phone slipped from my hand to the ground. I looked up at Lorne, "I understand." I gasped, "I still want to kill him though, you can empathize with that, can't you?"

"Sweetness, the fact that you didn't come down here just to stake his sorry self speaks volumes. It's one of the reasons I know you're almost an angel. No mere human would still love the big lug."

Angel's voice called my name from the floor and I knelt to pick up the phone. I was grateful for every body movement, for my hands reaching out to grasp Angel's voice. In that moment, everything around me was holy…

I was whole.

"Sorry, I dropped the phone." I said shakily.

"I should go…"

"You said you needed my help, you've got it."

"No…"

"I'll have Lorne give us directions to your place. I don't know how to get there." I said as I hit the end button on Lorne's phone.

"Lets go. Willow, you've been there before, you can drive." I said as I walked towards the door with a renewed sense of hope.

Behind me Willow, Tara, and Lorne shared confused smiles.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 2


I can do it to your mind I can do it to your face I can do it with integrity I can do it with disgrace

Johnny, Angry Johnny, this is Jezebel in Hell Johnny, Angry Johnny, this is Jezebel in Hell


The anger I felt for Angel still simmered in my stomach as we approached a large rundown hotel. I looked at Lorne with a raised eyebrow; this wasn't the place I remembered.

"His last place blew up." Lorne explained. Somehow I wasn't surprised.

"It is so him." Willow said with a sigh, "An old classic with good bones."

Tara gave Willow a disgusted look.

"You'll understand when you meet him." Willow said nervously.

"Wait until you get inside, it's 1950 all over." Lorne said to me.

I said nothing as we walked up the stairs and into the building. Wesley was standing with a small dark haired girl a very attractive African American man. Wesley looked awful.

"Buffy, it is… good to see you again." Wesley mumbled.

"Feeling is mutual Wesley." I retorted, "What did Angel need our help for?"

"Well, it seems that…"

The tall, good-looking man at Wesley's side made a loud throat noise.

"Oh, how rude of me. These are Gunn and Fred, our associates."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Buffy, the red head is Willow and the blond Tara. I think you already know Lorne." I said politely.

"Buffy? As in `the Slayer' Buffy?" The woman asked as she pushed through Gunn and Wesley.

"That would be me." I answered.

"Wow, I have so many questions to ask you. What was it like when you went through the portal? Ya' see I went through a portal to Pylea. It wasn't very fun, and they didn't have Taco Bell. I tried to make tacos, but it's hard without meat, spices, and taco shells. What dimension were you in?"

"Heaven." I answered slowly trying to grasp what the babbling freak was talking about.

I heard Angel's strangled gasp from the stairs. I looked up and saw him holding a small bundle. I couldn't pretend I didn't know what was in his arms- that I didn't know he held his child.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He demanded as he strode down the steps stopping beside his crew.

"God, I don't know. Why did I hear you had a son by Darla from some random vampires? The world is just a wacky place, I guess."

Everyone began fidgeting, unable to endure the tension between us. Surprisingly, I didn't mind. I was almost comfortable in the awkward situation before us. I was angry with Angel. What else was new?

I'd probably be angry at everyone in the room at some point, such is life.

"So, is that the baby?" I asked walking up to Angel and reaching up to touch the child.

Angel flinched away from me irritably. I pulled my hand away, hurt, but not deterred.

Words flowed from a place in me that remembered my deal with the PTB's, they had a will of their own. "I'm not going away, Angel. Part of the PTB's plan is for us to fight together. That's why Whistler called you in the first place. Now that I died, another slayer will be called to guard the Hellmouth. I will be helping facilitate your redemption, because you seemed to have forgotten all about it."

"I'm not here just for you, don't misunderstand me. I'm here because I have my own issues to work out. But you are a part of my resurrection that I cannot get away from." I turned back to Willow and Tara.

"We should find a hotel in the area."

"Sugar cakes, you are staying right here." Lorne said, quickly avoiding Angel's alarmed glare.

"I don't think Angel is in the mood to share." I snapped.

"Angel, sweetie, people don't return from the dead everyday to help you. You could at least offer them a place to stay."

Angel glared down at his son and back up at us, "We need help anyway with Holtz lurking around. There are rooms open on the second floor. I don't have any bedding, but everything is clean." And with that he turned around and headed back upstairs.

"Who is Holtz?" Willow asked.

"It's a long story…" Wesley began.

"He's a hundred year old vampire hunter who came through time to kill Angel, Darla and Connor." Gun summarized.

"Well, I guess it wasn't so long." Tara smiled.

*** I can do it in a church I can do it any time or place I can do it like an angel To quiet down your rage


A week flew by and I hadn't made any progress with Angel. In fact, the relationship seemed to be deteriorating daily. If Lorne hadn't repeatedly assured me Angel's soul was permanent, I would have believed Angelus was back.

Hiding from Angel in the basement training room, I contemplated falling in love with his 100 lb. punching bag. It smelled of his sweat and leather. I could pretend the Everlast Logo is his face and go at it.

Instead, I decided to turn on my MP3 player and slipped it into the elastic band of my yoga pants. White Zombie's "Living Dead Girl" began its B grade movie intro, which gave me a masochistic laugh.

I stretched, did a few sun salutations, and wrapped my hands before I stepped up to the bag.

Starting with my weak side, I Jabbed with my right and came across hard with left hooks, letting the beat control my speed. `Just one of Those Days' increased my tempo and I included legwork.

The bag bounced and weaved as I circled it, kicking and punching. Puddle of Mud was next, and I felt myself begin to crack somewhere deep inside. I meant to download "Control", but "Blurry" came on.

Big mistake.

Tears streamed down my face as Wesley Reid Scantlin howled, "Can you take it all away, when you rubbed it in my face, just explain again to me…"

Now there was no pattern to my workout as rage flooded my heart, mind, body, and soul. The bag swung violently from the onslaught of elbows, knees, and forearms.

All I saw was Angel.

All I ever saw was Angel.

A hand grabed my shoulder and I spun around punching aimlessly only to watch Angel fall to the floor.

His eyes turned a dark angry brown as he got up and walked towards me. I saw his mouth moving and remembered my headphone. Reluctantly I popped them out because I could tell he was screaming.

I caught "…the hell is wrong with you," at the end of his tirade and answered: "Huh?" which caused his forehead to crease into a caveman like pissed off glare.

"You could have killed someone!" He raged moving closer to me.

I've never seen him this angry before. I crossed my arms and cocked my head.

"You're right." I stated coldly, staring into his rage blackened eyes.

He was an inch away from my face… screaming… clearly out of control.

"This is my house, you can't hit people for grabbing your shoulder here!"

"Fine," I agreed with a terse nod of my head.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me flush to him. His eyes flared amber and his face shifted into demonic form.

"Someone needs a lesson about respect."

With that, he picked me up and threw me across the room; my body crashed hard against the cool concrete wall and I fell to the floor on my hands and knees. Fear sparked in my heart as I watched black leather shoes cross carelessly closer. I looked up at the monster in front of me, not sure if I was fighting Angel or Angelus.

He strolled leisurely crossed the room, still in game face.

"You're pathetic, Slayer," he said in disgust.

I raised my head to glare at him. Deep down I know there's some sort of mojo going on in his head, his eyes aren't the souless shade of black they turn when Angelus is out to play... but God am I pissed off! I stood not at all uncomfortalbe with the thought of facing him down. Angel had no fucking clue how much my power had increased since my return from the dead.

"You should have stayed down," He growled and attacked.

I ducked, blocked, and avoided his attack, trying to keep myself in check, by not kicking his ass too badly.

He continued to advance, roaring in frustration as I dodged his every move.

"What? No new moves since ya left Sunnydale?" I hissed.

"Yeah, but I used them all on Darla."

His words froze me and he threw a punch that broke my nose. Blood streamed across my lips and down my shirt.

By now we have an audience, I saw Gunn, Fred and Willow frozen in shock on the stairs. Willow's eyes black over but I shake her off.

It's time to teach this vamp who's alpha around here.

I slammed my palm into his face, effectively returning the favor as blood streamed from his nose.

"Now we're even." I growled.

His eyes teared up and blood gushed from the break, but he kept going. He dropped into a sweeping kick, which I nimbly hopped over, kicking him in the head while he was down. He fell to the floor and I dropped on top of him, raining blow after blow on his face.

I could hear bones breaking and Willow screaming for me to stop. His eyes were closed and he was so still.

I stopped, shocked at my merciless actions. Breathing hard, I tried to let my body relax as they rushed over to where we were on the floor.

"You really are stupid," came an Angelus like laugh from the floor.

I looked down to see Angel's fist explode in my face. I flew off him from the force of the blow and he charged me... too late. I moved in time to sweep his legs from under him. He tumbled down and I scrambled on top of him grabbing his head and slamming it into the concrete.

Blood leaked from his nose, mouth and ears as I pushed myself off of him.

::I did that to him:: I think as I fall to the floor and vomit.

"Willow," I gasped while I wiped my mouth, "Get some manacles from his room and see if you can reinforce them magically. It won't take him long to recover. I can't do this to him again."

Willow rushed upstairs to get them.

"Won't take him long…" Fred sputtered reaching out and barely being able to bring her self to touch Angel's bloody form, "You cracked his skull open."

I looked over to her staring at Angel's blood on her hands. It belonged on mine.

"Fred, go upstairs. You don't have to see this."

"How could you do this to him? I thought you loved him," she asked her brown eyes sick with confusion.

"Go," I ordered not able to deal with her accusing stare, "Bring him down some blood after Willow brings the manacles."

I jumped as an electric like sizzle burned next to me and Will appeared at my side, manacles in hand. I practically jump out of my skin.

"New trick?" I asked shakily taking the manacles from her and binding Angel's hands to his feet. Next I took off my shirt and used it to clean the blood from his face as I cradled his head in my lap.

The blood. I bent down and sniffed. It smelled strange.

"Willow. There's something wrong with his blood."

I sniffed again and things began to make sense.

"He's been drinking blood non-stop since we got here and acting so off. Can you find out if something's been done to it?"

"Yeah. That's easy! All I have to do…"

I leveled a dark look at Willow, we didn't have time for long explinations, "Will, hurry."

"Right, I'm on it."

Silence hung heavy in the air as I choked back tears while wiping the blood from his face. He was hurt badly. I had hurt him badly. How come I always ended up hitting him? I looked up and found Gun watching me intently.

"How'd it feel?"

"What?" I ask distractedly.

"To get rid of that rage you've been carrying around."

I glanced up, shocked for a moment. He returned my gaze intently. I looked back down at Angel's broken body and gulped back tears.

"Terrible." I whispered.

*** Willow returned as Angel moaned in my lap.

"It's magic. Definitely. I've got a hunch and it involves you."

"I didn't do this." I returned defensively.

"I know that; I just need you to keep your distance for a little while from Angel."

"Not a problem," I answered with a sigh. I wasn't sure if I could trust myself anymore after the brutal way I'd taken down Angel.

"Great!" Will said perkily, "Start right now by finding him a new supply of blood."

I nodded my agreement and went upstairs to change.

I knew I had to stop Angel from hurting me. I knew he didn't leave me any choice when he attacked me…I also knew I wanted to hurt him with a viciousness I hadn't felt since Faith. That bothered me more than I could say.

After a quick shower, I dressed. I spent little time on my hair, pulling it back into a long blond ponytail. With a start, I glanced at my reflection in the mirror. My nose had already healed.

That was fast even for me. Maybe I should call Giles about that. Shaking off the creepy feeling it gave me, I ran down stairs and into the LA sun to find my Angel some blood.

***

Angel's POV

"Angel?" came Willow's sweet treble.

I groaned in pain and tried to move my arms. I realized I couldn't and opened my eyes, blinking in the dim light of the basement. I hadn't been beaten this badly since... well since Holtz.

"What happened?" I mumbled.

"Relax Angel, please?"

"What happened?" I demanded, trying not to growl at the petite red head at my side..

"You got grouchy and Buffy had to subdue you."

Rage flooded my mind at her name, "I'm gonna kill her."

"Angel, focus a second."

I looked up at Willow who had raised her hands palm forward, and started to back away, and willed myself to relax.

"Someone's been messing with your blood supply," she blurted out.

"Huh?" was my dull reply as I looked up at her in confusion. When were the women around here going to learn to use transitions when they talked? Goddess help me, they were hard to follow.

"Ya know how angry you get at Buffy and Connor lately?"

I nodded as anger burst in my mind at their names.

"Well… That isn't natural is it? I mean you love them both with all of your heart, and yet you feel constant rage for them?"

I closed my eyes and tried to focus on Willow's voice. She was right. I should have sensed it before her. God, images of my fight with Buffy flooded my mind. I understood why I was in so much pain. I'm surprised she didn't kill me after that Darla comment.

"I need to find a new supplier, Will. Could you send someone out…"

"Someone is on it." She chirped.

"Thanks," I sighed, "By the way, do you think you could untie me?"

"Only if you promise to stay away from Buffy and Connor."

I ground my teeth in rage. At this point, I couldn't stand the though of being around the love of my life or my only son, "No problem."

*** Fred brought my blood down-stairs, I was relieved to finally feed. Hopefully the fresh blood would dilute what was ever was in my system. I was on my third or fourth bag before I felt sated.

"Feelin' better An-gel?"

"Yeah, not so angry."

"Good! Now maybe you and Buffy can stop beating each other up."

"I hope so." I answered, clamping down the anger that rippled into my head at Buffy's name.

"I wish Cordy was back. She'd know what to do."

Cordy. I hadn't thought of her since I fed. It seemed like I thought of her all the time lately. Her name was so sweet… I really missed her watching over me and her sage advice…I don't know why I ever chose Buffy over her…

Oh God.

The realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I missed Cordelia? Sweet Jesus, why would I miss Cordy's grating voice and personality?

The blood, if it made me rage at those I loved… It made sense it would make me care for someone who pissed me off on good days…

Didn't I give her a few thousand dollars to go on vacation with Groo!!!

I was going to kill who ever did this…. Why would anyone do they do this?

I sniffed the air, distracted by the scent of my mate's blood.

"Is Buffy OK?"

Fred looked up in surprise as she handed me another bag.

"Yeah, why?"

"I hurt her pretty badly… I can smell her blood."

"Oh. Well, she gave more than she got." Fred snapped.

"She didn't have a choice," I sighed.

"Sure she did!"

"I was going to drain her Fred."

Fred looked up in shock.

"Every last drop." I said in shame as I gulped down my dinner.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 5


Where did your pleasure go When the pain came through you Where did your happiness go This force is running you around now Getting you down now Where is your pleasure now Johnny Where has your pleasure gone now


On the way back to the Hyperion, we bickered over nonsense.

When we pulled up to the hotel, Angel commented that it was odd for all the hotel lights to be off. We barely shared a look before we were running for the door.

Too late.

The hotel was in shambles and Connor was gone.

One of us should have stayed.

Angel cursed me, his voice pure Angelus. My blood ran cold as his eyes looked through me.

"My son is gone… because of you! Sending me to hell wasn't good enough? No, you delivered my only child into my enemy's hands! Get out!"

So I left.

In desperation I used a tracking incantation that Willow had taught me and was on my way to find Connor.

I drove recklessly through the streets of LA, following a magical globe of light. This had to work.

I came up to a T intersection surrounded by Hummers and the ball stopped.

I saw Holtz was holding the baby and arguing with a gorgeous woman dressed in her corporate best. Screeching to a stop, I ran the rest of the way.

"My superiors want the baby," Corporate chick said.

"The baby is supposed to die." A new player, Scar Face.

Holtz just stood there holding the child.

A hummer came to a grinding halt behind us and Angel leapt from it. He rushed past me up to Holtz.

It all happened so fast... One second Holtz was threatening to take Connor, the next Scar Face was opening a portal to hell.

I knew what Holtz was going to do--I felt it in my bones.

So I threw myself at him to stop Holtz from jumping through. I stood there and watched when I sent Angel to Hell, there was no way I was going to just stand here and watch his son suffer the same fate.

***

Angel's POV

Where did your pleasure go When the pain came through you Where did your happiness go This force is running you around now Getting you down now Where is your pleasure now Johnny Where has your pleasure gone now


I took a few menacing steps toward the demon who dared to threaten my child when I noticed a blond fury speed past me. I spun around in time to see Holtz, Connor and Buffy get sucked into the portal. She was gone. My baby and my lover were gone. I fell to my hands and knees as the fiery circle closed.

I'd lost everything. ***

Buffy's POV

Midway along the journey of our life I woke to find myself in a dark wood For I had wandered off the straight path.

How hard it is to tell what it was like, This wood of wilderness, savage and stubborn (thinking of it brings back all my old fears), a bitter place! It could scarce be bitterer. But if I would show the good that came Of it, I must talk about things other than the good. Dante, The divine Comedy Vol. I: Inferno Canto I, n. 1-9 (Mark Musa, 1984)


It was easy to strip Connor from Holtz's arms as we tumbled in the dark. I cocooned my body around the baby's before we hit the ground. Rolling into a sitting position, I moaned in pain and fear.

The baby was wailing; I gently shushed him. I was hardly convincing as I mumbled things like: `It will be alright,' and `I'll take care of you.'

Panic ensued when I tried to see where we were. Except for the eerie orange glow at the horizon, I couldn't really distinguish any characteristics in the landscape.

"Well this Quarter place is cheery." I mumbled to the baby.

As I stroked Connor's with shaking hands, I noticed my fingers began to glow softly. They illuminated the child's tear stained face. It seemed to calm him down. My hands shimmered and streaks of iridescence moved up my arms. Warmth traveled across and through every part of my body until I was filled with peace. Connor had fallen into a gentle sleep in my arms.

Well, that was strange.

I looked up; noticing the bleak landscape around us was now lit with a warm glow, and realized it was coming from me. Endless rolling rises spread from me to the horizon in every direction. There were no defining characteristics at all. Everywhere I looked was the same blackened bleak hill. So, hell looks like Nebraska. Not surprising, I thought to myself.

"What are you?" Holtz gasped from behind me. His voice shook with fear.

I turned towards Holtz. It was tragic-- such a strong warrior reducing himself to stealing babies.

"Don't be afraid; I won't hurt you." I said, even though I really did want to hurt him. A lot.

I exhaled noisily as the quivering man fainted at my feet. Which seemed odd. This guy wasn't afraid of `Scar Face', but here he was… trembling in terror, when my appearance was the least intimidating thing about me.

A tingle in my gut alerted me to a familiar presence moving behind me. I held Connor tightly as I turned around.

"Always cleaning up after Angelus, aren't I, Pet?"

***

"All I did was untie Wesley. I don't see why everyone is so pissed off at me."

"Did ya' think we'd just leave him tied up for no reason?" Gunn snapped as he gently applied an ice pack to Fred's head.

"You didn't say not to."

"We were making out on the couch! Why the hell would we just leave him there if he wasn't a threat?" Fred screeched uncharacteristically.

"And how tasteless, making out in front of Wesley. Really!"

"He was asleep- why am I explaining myself to you?" Gunn groaned, "Next time you get back from a two week vacation, check in with us before untying people! God, you even went up and got the baby from Willow for him."

Grunting noises came from Wesley's tied-and-gagged form. Everyone but Cordy gave him a dirty look.

"Angel is going to kill me." Willow sobbed from the steps.

Her girlfriend hugged her comfortingly, "Buffy'll fix everything. Any minute her and Angel will come through the door, arguing about something, with Connor in their arms…"

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, the front door of the Hyperion opened. The group collectively held their breath…

Angel stumbled through the entrance. Tears streamed down his face. He looked around in a daze until his eyes focused on Willow.

"Why?" he whispered.

"I'm sorry. Angel, I didn't know. I should have known not to give the baby to Cordelia…"

His head snapped to Cordy, who was perched on the counter next to Groo.

"What did you do?"

"How was I supposed to know Wesley had gone all wacko? He had the baby when Holtz's men stormed the hotel and he just gave Connor to them…"

Angel closed his eyes. Everyone could see his throat moving as he swallowed his sobs.

"You stupid bitch. Take Wesley and get out of here before I kill you both!" He opened his eyes and they flashed saffron.

"You aren't firing us again, Angel. Wesley is the boss now…"

"Shut up and get out of here." Gunn said as he moved between her and Angel. "Angel, where are they? Where are Buffy and Connor?"

"Oh God, no wonder he's like this. SHE's here…"

"If you don't shut up, I will rip your head off of your God damned body!" Angel threatened as he moved closer.

Groo's head shot up in concern.

"Angel, man, calm down. Let us help."

"You can't, Gunn. They're in hell."

Following that bombshell, the room went silent until Willow stood up.

Everyone stared in surprise as the sweet computer geek's eyes turned black and a violent wind rushed through the atrium of the hotel. She extended a hand towards Wesley and another to Cordelia.

"If you don't leave with Wesley, I will make you both disappear permanently," she roared, her voice reverberated against the marbled floor and stairs until the hotel shook.

Groo slung Wesley over his shoulder as Cordy wrinkled her nose at Willow in disgust. He grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the door.

"Who do you think you are Willow Rosen…"

Groo punched Cordelia in the face, effectively rendering her unconscious?

"I will return to assist you after I take the princess and Wesley to her apartment," Groo directed at Angel as he ran out the front door.

Angel smiled weakly at Groo, "Thanks."

Closing his eyes Angel bowed his head for a moment, he almost looked as if he were praying for strength. Maybe he was.

When he looked up, his eyes seemed to take on an iridescent glow, "Willow, call Giles and ask him to bring anything he has that references Quartoth or the Hell Dimensions. Fred, check the Internet for the same. Gunn, when Groo gets back take him with you and check your sources for information. I'm going to see what I can drag back from Wolfram and Hart."

The group took on an air of grim determination as they went about their tasks. They would get the rest of their family back, or die trying. ***

Buffy's POV


"Spike!" I couldn't help smiling at the demon; I thought I'd never see the cocky peroxide blond again.

"You are in deep shit, Luv," He said, concern in his eyes.

"Pointing out the obvious today?" I asked, shifting the baby from one arm to the other.

"Dot you know where you are?" He sputtered.

"Some Hell dimension, ummm... Quarter?"

Spike groaned as he rubbed his forehead, "Quartoth, The ninth dimensions of hell…"

Spike paused, hoping for a hint of understanding from me. I didn't have a clue.

"You know… The pit of ice where Lucifer himself sits on his icy throne?"

I stared at him in complete confusion.

"Christ, you can't be this stupid! You know Dante?"

There was a long silence as I racked my brain for a clue, "I might have met a Dante in high school."

"Didn't you ever pick up a book in your life?"

I shot him a dirty look, "I've read plenty of books! Most of them were by Stephen King. If this Dante guy was so good, why wasn't *he* ever on the Best Seller list?"

Spike groaned, "You are such a pain in the ass Slayer."

"Hey, if this is demon central, where are all the demons? And how is it you get to share living space with Satan himself? And where's the ice you were talking about? I was expecting a whole lot worse than this."

Spike strained to stand a little taller, puffing up his chest. "I'm the big bad, where else would I be?"

I stared at him skeptically, "Right."

His shoulders slumped in defeat, "They sent for me because I know you."

"Who is `they'?"

"Lucifer, Brutus and Judas."

"Why?"

"They can't stand to be around you."

"They can't stand ME!" I snapped in disbelief.

"You're holy. As soon as you hit the atmosphere all the ice evaporated and it became a balmy 85 degrees. Hell, Judas and Brutus couldn't get to the eighth circle fast enough…"

"And where do you usually stay?"

Spike lowered his head in shame, "The vestibule with the indecisive."

"What is that the fifth or sixth circle or something?"

"It is at the fucking gate, Slayer."

"They didn't let you in?" I giggled, maybe hell wasn't so bad after all…

"It's all your fault!"

"How?"

"They wouldn't let me in because I… cared about humans. That's why I'm here. I'm the only one that can stand to be in your presence. I'm supposed to ask you to leave. You've driven Lucifer out of hell with your holiness, I think he's stuck somewhere in Wisconsin…

"Not that I'm upset about missing a fight with Lucifer, but, why?"

"It's against the rules. Heaven and Hell are closed to the living. You can't get in if your alive and the dead aren't allowed out. When Sahjhan opened the portal, everything got mixed up."

"So, they sent you here to kick me out?" I asked hopefully.

"To lead you, the brat, and Holtz out of here."

"When do I get to go home?"

"A few months, a couple of years? I don't know. I've never traveled through the dimensions of hell on foot before…."

"Years! I have to get back NOW! God, I just ran out of the hotel as soon as I understood Connor was gone. I didn't even check on Willow or Tara to see if they were OK. They could all be dead! I wouldn't know, I didn't wait around to see… Tell Them I have to get back now!" *** Angel painted a pentagram in blood on the floor of the Hyperion's lobby. He raised his head and glanced at the door, listening intently for something his unwilling help couldn't hear. He stood to his full height; looking expectantly at the doors. Giles, Xander, Anya and Gabrielle, the new slayer, walked through the entrance.

"Angel, what are you doing?" Giles snapped as he rushed down the lobby stairs.

"I'm getting Buffy and my child back."

"This isn't the way to do it." Giles snapped, gesturing at a frightened, silver haired man bound to a chair. A shaken businesswoman, attempting to appear brave, stood next to him.

Angel rose his dark form crossing the room with preternatural speed.

"How then? I needed his help to summon the demon that opened the portal they went through. I have to make Sajhan open it and go in after them."

Giles stepped back from the agitated vampire uneasily. Looking sympathetically at Angel he opened his mouth to speak only to be interrupted by Anya.

Anya laughed, "That has to be the most dim-witted plan I've ever heard of."

"Who are you?" Angel growled.

"Anya, Xander's fiancé!" She stated proudly.

"And that's supposed to give you instant credibility?"

"Really, Angel," Giles harrumphed, "She was a Vengeance Demon for a thousand years. You'd do well to listen to her."

"You have the oddest taste in women." Angel said in disbelief to Xander.

"In the past, similar taste Dead Boy." Xander said grimly. "Listen to her, she could help Buffy."

Angel groaned. He was acting uncharacteristically rash. Performing rites like this without outside help, without caution got people killed and the vampire knew better. He survived for over two hundred years because he was cautious. Even Angelus used outside expert advice. Of course Angelus ate his help afterwards, but that was another time and place.

Angel nodded his head towards Anya. She smiled, happy to be the center of attention.

"It's a bad idea on many levels. First, if you go to the hell dimensions, they won't let you out because you aren't of the living. Second, tearing open the ninth layer of hell will break down the walls between all of the dimensions. Remember what started to happen when Glory opened her portal?"

Giles and Xander paled as they nodded.

"It will be just like that. Anyway, they should be fine. No one can touch the living in hell. How do you think Dante got through?"

"Dante really was in hell?" Giles asked as he polished his glasses.

"Of course." Anya said derisively in disgust, "You're a watcher, doesn't the council keep you informed of anything?"

Angel sighed while glaring back at his hostages. "I've never regretted having a soul more than I do now." He snapped as he released his prisoners. ***

Buffy's POV these are 21 things that I want in a lover not necessarily needs but qualities that I prefer


I stood up and stretched.

"Well Connor, we're almost home."

A smile crossed his full lips as he looked up at me with deep brown eyes I had come to love more than myself.

Spike stood on a battered dock looking out over Acheron. He turned to face us. "I can't believe the bloke is late."

I smiled fighting back tears as I ran my fingers through Connor's dark hair, "Your father will be happy to see you."

Spike snorted, "His father. I'm more of a father to him than Peaches."

"It wasn't Angel's fault!"

"Always defending him that fucking poof." Spike muttered, angrily turning back to the murky river that would take us home.

"I'm gonna miss you," I sobbed, finally breaking down.

Spike groaned in feigned disgust, "I'm a demon, Pet, you won't miss me."

He crossed the few feet between us, took me in his arms and gently kissed my forehead.

Connor watched us both intently, "I can't imagine a world without you, Uncle."

"Angel is going to hate that." I whispered in Spike's ear.

"I know." He grinned that cocky grin of his and I began crying in earnest.

"Christ, Slayer, stop it!" He exclaimed, shaking me a little. I looked up and saw tears in his eyes.

"Can't you come with?" I hiccupped.

"The dead can't leave without intervention," He answered sullenly as he turned away from me.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

A boat appeared through the mist and headed for the dock. Spike ignored the question as he walked across the rickety dock to meet it. Sharing information was never a big priority for him. I focused instead on watching his every move, filing it away to cry about at some other time.

Today we were going home.

After twenty-four years, I was going home. Going home one short- Holtz died a year ago. Lucifer's ban on attacking helped, but half- demons wanting to earn a reputation for killing "The Slayer" hunted us down. Soon, it wasn't me they wanted as a trophy kill. Conner's skill as a warrior eclipsed mine when he turned fifteen. At age twenty-four, he was legendary.

I winced remembering how Aeshema, a Daevas, ran Holtz through with a spear in an attempt to get to Connor. Connor annihilated the Daevas, finishing `him' off with his own weapon.

That's when they started calling Connor `The All-Destroying', which was pretty accurate. They called us both Saoshyants. I figured it meant human or lunch. Hopefully Giles would still be around to ask when I got home. Spike was clueless, and there was no one else to ask.

Two decades alone, without the support of friends, family or lovers… Just Spike…

I understood exactly why Drusilla went crazy; any serious time spent with Spike would put anyone over the edge.

Looking down, I groaned at my ragged fingernails and clothing. I reminded myself of a National Geographic loincloth model. Two decades without grooming products. I wasn't sure what I missed more, my friends or a tooth brush; it was a toss up.

There were no mirrors in hell, and I was kind of glad of it right now. I didn't want to know exactly how awful I looked. Spike assured me I hadn't aged, but demons lie.

He probably just didn't want to hear me whine about it.

"Charon, you ole' bastard. How the hell are you?"

I laughed to myself as I watched Spike greet the decrepit demon whose fiery red eyes burned through me. I stared back at the half demon, and he shuddered. Glancing down at Connor, I touched his shoulder.

"Come on," I said.

He stood up, stretching his six foot four inch body with a groan. His dark eyes bore into mine intensely as he moved gracefully towards the dock. Slinging a broadsword over rippling shoulder muscles, he gave me a heart-stopping smirk.

My boy had turned into a warrior whose physical abilities equaled my immortally enhanced slayer skills. He was walking, talking art in motion as he stepped up to the boat. Angel would be blown away by the man his son had become.

"Well, Buff. I get to meet good old dad."

"I hope so. I hope they are still alive."


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 6


are you funny? à la self-deprecating? like adventure? and have many formed opinions?


The rickety boat swayed in the muddy waters as we boarded. One big sail magically filled with wind as soon as Charon grabbed the wheel. I stood leaning against the side watching Spike and Connor.

"It'll be good to see the girls again." Spike said with a lusty sigh.

"The girls?" Connor asked, "There are girls in Hell?"

"Yeah. Beatrice, Lucia and Rachel hang out near the gate. After them, the only thing between you and home is the Dark Forest."

I stepped away from the men in my life to look out over the water. Bodies the color of dough littered the murky river. Thumps could be heard as `Red Eyes' steered us through the shrieks and low moans of corpses hitting the prow. I glanced at Connor in concern, but he wasn't affected by the horror in front of us. He smiled down at me, pulled me back into his arms and began to rub my shoulders.

"Not so long now. We'll be across soon," his velvety voice assured me.

My heart rate increased as I felt the warm puff of his breath on my hair. He reminded me so much of Angel. I remembered leaning into him when I was a girl after crushing the Master's bones in the warehouse. How he had soothed my soul with warm words and cool lips…

Connor's hands moved down my arms. He gently massaged them, rubbing the tension out of me. I glanced up to see Spike glaring my way.

"What?" I asked irritably.

"You," he growled.

"Connor, excuse us a moment," I said as I walked to Spike.

He grabbed my arm harshly and dragged me to the prow of the small boat.

"You are a piece of work," he barked.

"What is your problem?"

"I know I should hate the bloke, him being Angel's son, but I don't. I love him like he was my own, and I'll be damned if I'll stand by to watch you break his heart like you did mine."

"I hate to remind you, Spike, but you are damned." I bit out.

"Shut your bloody hole and listen to me!"

I glared at Spike, but shut up.

"Are you intentionally giving the boy an Oedipus Complex?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Our boy, the one you and I raised? Are you so self-involved you didn't notice he's in love with you."

"You're being disgusting…"

"I'm a vampire; I can smell these things. The sick thing is lately I've caught your scent too."

I flushed scarlet. Oh God, Connor looked so much like Angel. I couldn't help thinking of…

"Oh, God. Lately, when I look at him, I think of Angel. I mean, Christ, it has been twenty-four years. I know you released some of your tension with the local demon population…"

"What, in twenty four years you never got yourself off?"

No! My EARS! Spike was talking to me about masturbation. I looked around in vain for a portal, any portal to another dimension to jump into.

"Stop talking," I snapped.

"How did Angelus put up with you? You are such a prude."

"I'm not a prude! I just don't do… that."

"Do what?"

"THAT!"

"Say it! Say mas-tur-bate, or touch myself, or get myself off, or…"

"Spike, I'll watch myself around him, O.K.? Can we stop talking now?"

"We don't have to talk at all, Luv. I could use my mouth for something else…"

The image of Spike going down on me flashed through my head. My sex-deprived mind liked it more than I'd ever admit.

I groaned and walked away; sometimes that's all you can do.

I stood a few feet away from Connor. He stepped closer to me and lovingly brushed the hair out of my eyes.

How did I miss the signs before? How did I let this happen?

Stepping away from him, I pointed out the shoreline, "Look, you can see the shore."

"What's it like at home?" Connor asked, leaning closer to me.

My heart started beating furiously as the perverse image of Spike turned into Connor in my imagination.

Focus: Angel's son.

Changed his diapers… So close to home…

Must. Remain. Platonic.

"Well, they have these stalls you step into called 'showers'. Warm water sprays at you inside of them. It feels wonderful. There's this food called pizza. It's flat and round…" I babbled.

"How can something be flat and round?"

"Huh?"

"Well, if something is flat, it can't be round, too."

"Trust me, it can."

"It sounds weird, sure you don't want to stay here? Me and Spike could keep you occupied."

My head dropped into my hands at the erotic images Connor innocently elicited. I began babbling again.

"Yeah, it can be pretty freaky. People ignore demons there, unless one is killing them. Even then, they want to pretend it is something else. They don't believe in Heaven or Hell. You probably shouldn't talk about it, or they will think something's wrong with you. The best part is all of the people you're going to meet. Your dad, Willow, Xander, Tara… Giles…" Tears began to rush down my face; I was sobbing.

Connor grabbed me, pulling me close to him. "It will be alright. Buff, I've never seen you cry before these past few days. Are you sure you want to go back?"

I trembled from his touch and gently pulled back.

"I'm afraid."

"You aren't afraid of anything."

"I'm afraid of your father," I mumbled to myself.

"I heard you. Why are you afraid of him?"

"He'll think this is my fault, and he's probably right." I was afraid Angel would figure out Connor had I thing for me and kill me. After all, I didn't figure it out in time to discourage it. There was no way I could bring this up to Connor.

"How? Did you ask Holtz to take me?"

"No, but one of us should have stayed behind to watch you." And it probably should have been anyone but me protecting you down here... At least that way I wouldn't be having un-maternal thoughts about you.

Connor shook his head, "If he's still angry with you, he doesn't deserve you." Connor stated, again brushing my hair out of my face.

"No, I don't deserve him," I answered as I moved away. *** do you derive joy from diving in and seeing that loving someone can actually feel like freedom?


After we docked, it was only an hour's walk to the gate. I was almost running to get there, to get home. Spike and Connor lingered behind me, taking these last moments together as substitute-father and son.

Finally, the gate came into view. The blackened stone soared two stories into the air and looked impossible to penetrate. I noticed three figures standing in the shadows of Hell's entrance. They began to approach us as we got closer.

"Spike!" Three beautiful women cried out in unison, "We missed you so much."

"I missed you too, Beatrice." Spike said to the chesty blond standing at the gate.

"Give us a little kiss," the dark haired one said seductively.

"Rachel, my pet, you are a sight for sore eyes."

Spike grabbed the two beautiful females by their waists, one in each arm, and twirled them around.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

I turned around to see a stunning redhead eyeing Connor.

"You look just like your father, darling."

My eyes popped out of my head as the woman ran her crimson colored fingertips down Connor's chest. He looked at me like a drowning man looks at a life vest.

:: You're on your own buddy :: I thought to myself.

"I'm so glad we interceded on Angelus' behalf, look at how well his son turned out."

"Angelus." The hormonally impaired twins sighed, again, in unison.

This was too much; when I got back, I would have to ask Giles about this interceding stuff. If Giles was still alive.

"Well Connor, are you ready to head out?"

"Uhh… Yeah…" he answered distractedly as the redhead leaned into him.

"Tell your daddy Lucia said "Hi"."

I grabbed Connor by the elbow and steered him out the gate, "We'll be sure to let him know."

"Spike?"

His disembodied voice sounded eerily from the gates, "I'll miss you, Pet. Take care of her, Connor…"

"Spike, where are you?"

Connor and I spun in circles as the gate closed behind us. He was gone. My eyes smarted as I blinked back tears.

"Well, it looked like he was going to have a good time…" Connor ventured as we struck out into the woods. ***

these are 21 things that I want in a lover not necessarily needs but qualities that I prefer I figure I can describe it since I have a choice in the matter these are 21 things I choose to choose in a lover


It seemed like we had been walking for days. Every tree looked the same as the one before it. And I was bone tired.

"I'm sleepy." Connor yawned.

"Yeah, I could use a rest too."

"I'll take first watch, OK?"

"Yeah."

It was eerily silent. The trees towered over us like of mature red woods, but they were black. Ebony leaves dropped from the sky like fallen angels. I shuddered in spite of myself. I wished I had a flashlight for the millionth time since jumping into the portal.

I turned to watch Connor's sleeping form.

Things would be so different between us when we got back. Would Angel allow me to see Connor? Would he hate me? Would my friends be alive? Twenty-four years is a long time… God, Angel was immortal, but he could still die. I shuddered at the thought. Angel had to be alive. I leaned back against a tree. It's dark bark dug into the skin on my back.

I was so sleepy. Maybe I would sit down for a minute. I sank to the forest floor and closed my eyes for a second and I was asleep.

I felt a hand on my cheek.

"Buffy."

Only one person said my name like that, like they were praying, and he wasn't here.

`This must be a dream,' I thought, leaning into his hand. He gently stroked my lips over and over, moving down to trace his mark.

His lips were on mine, brushing them lightly. I moaned into his mouth. Dropping delicate butterfly kisses down my throat and chest, Angel began nuzzling my breasts. Lips encircled erect nipples and I shrieked at the pressure. I prayed that I wouldn't wake up. `Angel,' I thought, moving my hands through his hair and down his neck. I felt the familiar weight of his body press into mine, oh how I loved that weight, and opened my legs for him. His hands were all over me, drinking me in with urgent wild caresses.

He was so warm…

Why was he warm?

"Angel?" I whimpered as my eyes flew open.

Connor moaned in frustration as he pushed himself up.

"Why do you still love him?" Connor gasped.

I shook my head, in spite of everything trying to understand.

"Connor?"

"I had to try... before we got back." His voice was raw as he ran his hand through his jet-black hair.

I felt sick. How could he? We were so close to going too far…

"Connor, I love your father. I love him!"

He glared at me, "How can you be so frightened of him and love him so much?"

"I just do."

Connor got up, "When we get back, if he doesn't want you anymore… I'll be waiting."

I felt sick to my stomach… All I wanted was to go home… I just wanted to wake up in my own bed with clean sheets… I wanted a shower and donuts… I wanted Angel… Panic cut through me like a knife…

A steady humming began as light burst across my skin, flaring until we were encircled in a sphere of light. Connor drew his broad sword as a black panther burst through the membrane of light pulsing around us.

The black cat's mouth opened and he said: "That with him were, what time the Love Divine," and disappeared.

Next a golden haired lion roared into the light and spoke: "With ravenous hunger, so that is seemed the air was afraid of him."

And finally a wolf entered and stated with a growl: "The time comes that causes him to lose, who weeps in all his thoughts."

"What the hell…"

A final flash of light burst through me and we were falling. I screamed Connor's name as we tumbled into a room and landed ready to fight. ***

Angel's POV I figure I can describe it since I have a choice in the matter these are 21 things I choose to choose in a lover


I looked at the people gathered around the table, people I'd grown to love in spite of myself. Everyone had nodded off. Anya and Xander slept, their heads resting on one of Giles' priceless editions. A small puddle of drool formed at the corner of Xander's mouth- Giles wouldn't be happy. Fred and Gunn were asleep next to her laptop.

Willow and Tara cuddled together, holding hands as they dreamt. Gabrielle and Giles had fallen asleep with their heads hanging back. Lorne was resting on the counter. Everyone but Cordy and Wesley was accounted for.

It had been a week. A week of Connor's life that I missed, and who knew how much more…

I missed Buffy. God! I threw out the woman who might be carrying my child. Taking my anger and frustration out on her was a terrible mistake. She dove after Connor because I blamed her… I knew it wasn't her fault. If Cordy had come into my room, I would have let her take Connor. I never would have asked if she planned on giving him to Wesley…

Images flashed through my mind of Buffy beaten, tortured, broken…

And she could be pregnant with my child… Knowing the torture and pain the sadistic bastards would inflict on her was eating me up inside… I couldn't bear to think how they'd use Connor against her.

Cordy and Wesley: I don't think I can forgive them. I don't think I can forgive myself.

That's when the air above the pentagram began to crackle with energy. Willow, Giles, and Tara's heads jerked up, their eyes glowing as words from a language I'd never heard spilled from their lips.

Everyone at the table was suddenly awake. They shared frightened looks until I took charge.

"Gunn! Xander!" I yelled as I opened the weapons cabinet and threw weapons to them. They caught the crossbows with sure hands and took aim at the glowing light that appeared in the air.

I grabbed a broadsword and approached the pentagram cautiously.

"I told you to wash that off the floor, but no one listens to me." Snapped Anya as two forms gracefully fell from the light into battle ready positions. Both held weapons in their hands.

The scent was so familiar… It was my mate!

"Buffy!" I screamed, charging at her.

The man shoved her behind him, bringing himself into a perfect defensive position.

"Come any closer and you're dead," he growled.

"NO, Angel!" Buffy yelped, thrusting herself between the stranger and me.

The energy left the air. Tara, Giles and Willow dropped into their seats, drained.

"Buffy," I sobbed as I pulled her beautiful, disheveled form into my arms, checking her for harm, "Where's Connor?"

"Right here, Dad."

I looked up in disbelief at the man behind her. ***

I'm in no hurry I could wait forever I'm in no rush cuz I like being solo


"Connor, I'd like you to meet your father. Angel, I guess you know his name, cause you named him…" she babbled.

We stood awkwardly for a moment.

"Well hug or something," she ordered as she jabbed me in the stomach.

"You grew…" I gulped lamely.

"God, he looks just like you Angel. He could be a clone if he weren't so much taller, don't you think, Xander?" Anya commented as she circled us. "And will someone *please* get that pentagram off the floor? I don't want anything else following them back from hell!"

Connor turned to Buffy, "What was the wolf, lion and panther about?"

"I have no clue."

"You saw them in the Dark Forest, right?" Anya said.

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"Dante's Inferno… Describes hell, you all should read it sometime."

"Would you please stop with the Dante crap?" Xander groaned.

Buffy turned around in a circle staring at each of her friends one at a time. And finally ending with me.

"So much time went by… I thought you'd all be dead…"

How could this man be my son? A week had gone by, not twenty years. How could I have missed so much! I cracked. "How can this man be my son? You're the same age and he's at least... How old are you?"

"I'm twenty-four."

"Yeah, twenty-four. Why are you still twenty-two?"

"Well, she is immortal, you big lug." Lorne piped up.

I stared at her in shock.

"Buffy, is this really my son?" Hope rushed into my voice as I ignored the hurt look that crossed her face.

"Yes."

I stepped up and embraced him. Tears ran down my face.

"Connor, you're home…"

He roughly pushed me aside and walked over to Buffy.

"Buff, you OK?"

I turned to watch my son comfort her as she blinked back tears, "Yeah, I'm just so happy to be home. I need a shower. Why don't you stay down here and get to know your dad?"

Connor reached out to touch her shoulder and she flinched away. Disappointment flashed across his face for a moment. I glanced around to see if anyone else had noticed. Everyone but Anya and Xander stood frozen: shocked by Buffy and Connor's return.

Willow let out a wail and ran across the room. In a heartbeat her Scooby's had engulfed them. I stood outside their circle, watching my son look longingly at my soul mate.

What was going on? ***

Buffy's POV are you uninhibited in bed? more than three times a week? up for being experimental? are you athletic? are you thriving in a job that helps your brother? are you not addicted?


Warm water cascaded through my hair and down my back. I moaned in delight as I lathered away years of grimy hell dirt. The soap Angel gave me smelled like raspberries. Umm… raspberries.

I wanted food.

When I got back from heaven, nothing tasted good. Everything was too bitter, too harsh. I couldn't stand how it all felt…

Now, everything seemed so beautiful. The air was easier to breathe. I couldn't imagine why I was so upset to be alive on earth. After all look at the alternatives…

I turned off the water and dried myself. There was a comb on the sink that I pulled through my tangled nest of hair. It hurt as I yanked it through two decades of knots and snarls. When I was done, I had a fist full of blond strands in my hand. I leaned over and tossed them into the wastebasket. Turning, I caught my reflection in the mirror.

Years without sun had left my skin an ashen color. The green of my eyes glowed against the pallor. I hadn't aged, but I looked so different. My hair was a deep dark gold falling past my waist. I pushed it aside and studied my body carefully. Taut muscles pulled over sharp bones. I barely had breasts anymore I was so thin!

I turned away from the mirror. I couldn't stand to look at myself anymore. Tears ran down my face as I stepped from the bathroom into the bedroom. I sniffled as I wiped them away.

"Buffy…"

I froze and looked up. One hour out of hell, and I couldn't tell when someone was in the room with me. A rush of heat burned through me as my breath caught in my throat.

"Angel!" I gasped as I grabbed a sheet from the bed and covered myself with it.

"Ya know; I have seen you naked before." He tried to joke.

Tears burned down my cheeks, "Not like this." I hissed gesturing wildly.

"Exactly like this." His dark velvety voice ripped at my heart as he gently brushed wet hair back from my face.

I felt all of the air go out of me at his touch. Seeing him felt like heaven, like balm on my soul. I felt a liquid warmth move through me, pooling deep in my stomach. He moved closer and I remembered what Spike said about my scent.

There could be no doubt in Angel's mind that I wanted him.

But did he want me?

I couldn't meet his eyes as Love and Fear battled for my soul; Love won. I glanced up. He stared at me; eyes so dark with lust they looked opaque. I stared back, giving him the full heat of my eyes.

His hands reached out and pulled away the sheet.

I looked down again in shame, remembering my pale thin body.

"Did I hurt you?" He asked tenderly grasping my shoulders.

"I look terrible…"

"You're beautiful, you're perfect." His voice broke as he pulled me against him.

"Angel!" I gasped as the friction of his shirt and buttons chafed my skin.

I wanted to feel this forever.

I reached up and touched his face as he bent down, sucking my bottom lip into his mouth. I gasped at the sensation; arching my body against his.

His mouth devoured mine as he ran his hands through my wet hair.

"Buffy." He groaned as he dropped to his knees in front of me. His head was centered between my breasts as he pressed kisses there and down my stomach. His cool lips enflamed me as he hovered above my curls. He looked up; drinking me in with his eyes.

I quickly knelt, joining Angel on the floor.

"I thought about you every minute." I whispered, "If it hadn't been for Connor, I would have lost my mind."

I felt him stiffen and pull away from me. I hung on to him, gripping him with slayer strength. Knowing Angel could tell his son's feelings for me from Connor's scent, I tried to reassure his unvoiced fears.

"Getting him home to you was the only thing that kept me sane. You gave me purpose down there. I love you."

"What about Spike?"

Envy flashed across his face and disappeared. It was so quick I would have missed it if I hadn't been looking.

I just returned from hell, was naked, on my knees and he was more vulnerable than me. His body tensed at my pause and he rose to leave again.

"Don't go." I begged, "I let you go too many times. That won't be happening again.

"I was wrong about everything. I never should have let you walk away, but I was too afraid to run after you. Too afraid and too proud. When you left it hurt so badly. I wanted to punish you; get even. I'm not sure how to explain… The slayer is dark, proud and battle hungry. When someone hurts her, she wants their blood.

I fight her every day. I fight her to stay human.

She doesn't understand friends, family, or lovers. She wants to sleep alone on a bed of bones. I need more than that to live. I need you and those people downstairs. Spike was a friend, not a lover. If you need to mark me, marry me in secret, or stalk me to make sure I'm yours; go ahead. I know who I am, what I am, whose I am. No one can take that away from me, not even you."

His mouth found mine as he pressed me back on to the floor. He nuzzled my neck, stroking my right under my chin. Feathering light kisses down my breastbone, he buried his face in my chest. His back began shaking and I realized he was sobbing. I cradled his head against me shushing him as I embrace him gently.

"All I could think about was them torturing you, the terrible things they'd do to you and Connor…"

"Like they did to you?"

"Yes." The word broke him as it crossed his lips.

"We were OK, no one hurt us." I said rocking him back and forth.

"I don't believe that. Connor wouldn't be an expert with a broadsword if things didn't attack you…"

"Things attacked; Spike and I protected. We taught him to protect himself in case anything happened to us."

"Why?"

"Why, what baby?" I asked.

"Why did they hurt me and not you?" His voice was gruff with pain and confusion.

"Because it hurt them just to be around me." I said sighing, knowing how beautiful a soul he had and how unfair it was for him to have endured so much.

"How?" His voice was a gasp.

"When I came back, the PTBs made me immortal and holy. It hurts pure demons to be in the same dimension as me, so we got left alone most of the time."

"I almost lost you and him."

"We're back, but we're different. You're going to have to get to know us again." I whispered into Angel's hair.

"Can we start getting to know each other again now?"

His bleary eyes drank me in like a thirsty man drank at water. I bent down and caught his mouth in mine, probing softly with my tongue, memorizing the planes of his face with my hands, pushing against him with my body.

"Yes, let's start," I whimpered.

He gathered me in his arms and set me down on the bed, nuzzling the mark on my neck. Reverently, he traced circles around my breast like crazy eights until he reached their peaks. Bending his head, he took one nipple into his mouth. I raked my hands through his hair, urging him on. He kissed a trail to my stomach and down, down to my center. I was dripping for him as he kissed the insides of my thighs, stroking everywhere but the one place I needed it most.

"Please.." I gasped.

"Please what?"

"I want you, Angel please…"

"Look at me, Buffy."

I raised my head to look at him. His eyes were brimming with want as his hands roved my body.

"I want you to tell me exactly what to do."

I threw my head back; his demands electrifying my body.

"Please taste me…"

"Where?" He demanded tracing a pattern around all around my clit. "You know where!" I wailed.

He grabbed my hand and whispered, "Show me."

I was going out of my mind as he guided my hand down, lower until...

I couldn't control myself as I began to stroke in circles, jerking my hips against my hand.

He eased my hand away, "So that's where..."

He didn't wait for a response. His head dropped down and he traced the circles he made with his fingers using his lips. His mouth nibbled at my clit. He began to suckle me; pulling on me with his teeth. Biting, licking, lapping, he held me down as I drove my hips into him. I was almost there; teetering when he slowed down, swirling kisses all around my sensitive nub.

"Angel, please…" I begged.

He began again lightly tasting as he brought me to the edge. I was shrieking his name, begging, pleading as he repeated the process over and over.

Mindlessly wailing, I tried to break his grip on me. I needed so much more. Wetness flooded down my legs as he growled against me. The extra vibration brought me screaming over the edge. He stripped quickly. I barely got a chance to appreciate his magnificent body before he pulled me on top of him.

"I want to watch you." He growled as he lifted my shivering hips over his cock easing me down on him.

Pressing my hands to his shoulders I rocked on him gently, shallowly moving my hips. He moaned and thrust up, but I held him down.

"Ya know the whole goose and gander thing?"

"Buffy, harder…"

I ignored his pleas and rode him lightly, slowly. He reached up and began skillfully tickling, stroking and pulling my nipples. I tried to hold back, but the sensation was too much. Screaming: "Angel…" I slammed down, grinding myself against his cool familiar body. Inner muscles flexed as I drove myself over the brink, barely aware of his mutual roar into pleasure as I collapsed on top of him.

Beautiful white swirls of light pulsed across my skin into my lover's. His body throbbed beneath me as the light spread over his dead skin like a flame over dry grass. Abruptly I knew what the light roaring across me was… It was Love.

Breathing heavily, my body went limp against Angel's before I realized the Powers were taking this afterglow thing a little too far. Angel's dead body began to convulse against me. I grabbed his face looking desperately into eyes that glowed bright white. The shimmering light swirled over every inch of his sinewy frame as his mouth opened in a silent scream.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 7

Gabby's POV

are you athletic? are you thriving in a job that helps your brother? are you not addicted?

I watched Willow and Tara show Connor upstairs wishing I could have gone with them. I would love to show him how a shower works. Giles gave me a strange look and then began polishing his glasses as I followed them upstairs with my eyes. Must be why they call them Watchers; Giles never misses a thing I do. Xander, on the other hand is oblivious. I think that's why he's with Anya. If she weren't around to spell it out for him, he'd be screwed. But back to my main point. Connor. Flipping through the air while drawing a broad sword from a sheath on your back is no small feat. He must be a terror in battle. There is something about a big, strong man with a sword coming to save you… Not that I've ever been saved by one; except right now in my imagination. Slayers don't get to be saved generally. That's when the noises started. Giles stuttered, polished his glasses and exited the building in less than a minute. Xander kept asking what that noise was until Anya filled him in, and he quickly followed dragging her with him.

I was impressed. Sex with a vampire suddenly topped my list of things to do. Of course, another vampire with a soul would be difficult to find.

That's when Connor came rushing down the stairs. He had on some of Angel's clothes that didn't quite fit. I watched him pace the room. The outline of his long well muscled legs were clearly defined in his father's black leather pants. With every moan, shriek and breathy scream a muscle in his cheek twitched. Another one in love with 'Buffy'? She must be something else when she was all cleaned up.

"Hey, Connor. Let's get out of here." His head snapped in my direction; eyes black with rage. Usually a look like that meant battle, and my breathing quickened at the intensity of his stare. "Remember me, we met a minute ago? Gabrielle?" "Where do we go?" His voice was gruff with emotion. "We'll go to the mall. I've got my father's credit card, Angel can pay me back. Just let me leave a note for Will and Tara." He strode towards the entrance at an angry pace when I said Angel's name. "I'll wait outside." Poor guy, I had know idea what it'd be like to be in love with my father's girlfriend. Ewww…. Maybe I should say mother's boyfriend…. I grabbed the keys to my motorcycle and headed out the door. I found Connor staring at the street with his mouth hanging open. Probably no cars in Hell, must be a shock. "Is it pretty weird?" He started in surprise, "You snuck up on me." "Sorry, didn't mean too." "Buffy is the only person who does that." "It must be a slayer thing." I said pushing my curly red hair out of my eyes, "come on, my bike is over there." He just stared at me as I hopped on. "Put a leg over, sit down and hang on." I instructed. "What does it do?" I grinned evilly, "It goes really fast. Hang on to my waist, lean when I lean and we'll be OK." Pulling the clutch in I slipped it into first. I paused as Connor got on and we were off. Connor instinctively leaned with me as I wove through traffic like an insane person. I was dragging him through the mall in no time. "OK, I like to power shop. That means no browsing. So lets make a plan." He stared at me in confusion, "Browsing?" He said the word slowly like he was trying it on… "Browsing is going slow, touching each item and trying everything on. Lets see… You'll need underwear, and I'm thinking you look like the boxers type. Seeing how good you look in leather, we'll get you several pairs of those. Now shirts… I'm thinking a little bit of everything…. You are looking at me like I'm nuts, so I'll assume you have no idea what I'm talking about. Just come on." I grabbed his arm and pulled him through the crowd. "God, there are so many people here." He growled. "No people in Hell?" "Buff told me not to talk about that stuff, that people here didn't believe in it." I glanced up at his confused eyes and slowed down. He looked over simulated. I grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the traffic. "Hey, I'm sorry. I just dragged you down here without thinking. This has got to be really weird, all of these people, you don't really know me…" "It's OK. Lets just get our stuff and get out of here." "All right, that's power shopping!" There was no way I would hit on this confused man. It would be a long time before he was ready for anything like a relationship. Friends seemed like a good idea to me.

I checked my watch and realized I needed to get back to the hotel soon so Giles could take me out on patrol.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 8


"How will you be paying for this?" I handed her a credit card, "Would you please have these packages delivered to this address tonight?" "Of course Miss…" "It's Gabrielle, and thanks for being so helpful." Smiling at the clerk, I took daddy's credit card back. My father's unlimited resources were handy, I thought turning towards Connor. "Well, that ought to get you by for a couple weeks." We walked out of the store and into the crowd. He grimaced and shook his head, "I don't understand why I have to get so much stuff! All of the hair products, soap, deodorant…" "I know it seems like a lot, but I don't want you having a hard time fitting in with people." Or, because I liked my eye-candy to be well dressed… He leaned over like it was the most natural thing in the world and caressed my cheek, "Thank you. You don't know me yet you have done all this for me. I'm sorry if I seem ungrateful." The slayer in me balked at the invasion of my personal space, the nineteen year old in me wanted to throw him down and do terrible dirty things to his body. I shook my head trying to get rid of my immoral fantasies. "You don't seem ungrateful, you just seem overwhelmed. It must be hard to…" A woman screeching 'Angel' repeatedly startled me out of my reverie, "do you hear that?" I turned and saw a beautiful woman with a bad dye job rushing towards us. Her angry eyes zoned in on Connor as she stalked through the crowd. "She must think you're Angel." "He sure knows how to make women scream his name." Connor snapped under his breath. My stomach buzzed, "She isn't human, we have to get her away from the crowd. Follow me." I grabbed his hand and led him through the maze of people back towards the deserted area by mall security. I knew I was leading us into a dead end, but I couldn't leave her there with all those people. I smiled with excitement as I pulled a stake from my black leather jacket. "Stay behind me. If something happens, vampires die from beheading, sunlight and a stake through the heart… Demons usually react the same way.." He smiled down at me, "Grew up with a vampire and a vampire slayer; I know how to kill the undead... Got another stake?" I was flipping one to him when she found us. "Do you know how hard it is to run in these?" Dye job bitched while checking the heels of her brown patent leather high-heeled mules. She adjusted the shoulder of the ivory silk dress and finally addressed us. "You have the gall to guilt-trip me for Connor and Buffy's disappearance and here you are, shopping with a red-headed Amazon. How dare you…" "Who the fuck are you?" I asked in a soft, low voice. "Nice language… Well, aren't you going to introduce us Angel?" Connor growled deep in his throat as he took a threatening step closer to the strange woman: "My name isn't Angel, and I don't know you." That earned Connor an icy glare, "Right, NOW you don't even know me. What IS your problem? I've had three visions this week, but you won't talk to me. So there go three innocents that YOU were supposed to save. No, all you can think about is Connor and Buffy." She spat out Buffy's name as if it demeaned her to say it. "Look, I'm…" "You're what? A sorry excuse for a champion? Yes! Before Buffy came sniffing around, you were leaving titanic hints about your feelings for me. How can you go from being in love with me to…" "In love with you?" Connor asked disbelievingly, "How could he do that to her?" I watched his pale face turn scarlet in anger. He took an enraged step toward the raving lunatic, "If he touched you it would kill Buffy." "Angel…" Cordelia bit out. With inhuman speed, Connor closed the space between him and the arrogant woman. Grabbing her by the neck he effortlessly lifted her off the floor. His voice was soft and deep as he threatened her: "First, my name is Connor, and if I find you've hurt Buffy physically, emotionally or just annoyed her…" He smiled at her as she struggled for air, "I'll make you watch while I gut you." As he released her, she tumbled to the floor gasping for air. As she looked up at the man standing over her, and I had moment of pity. Tears formed in her eyes as she whispered, "Connor, it can't be… You're a baby…" "Was a baby. If you have love problems with my so called father, take it up with him next time." Turning on his heel, he left her sitting on the floor; tears streaming down her face. The woman gasped, grabbing her head with both hands. "Oh God… Vision!" "What do you mean?" I asked tentatively approaching the pitiful heap on the floor. "Please… tell Angel that Cordelia had a vision of Drusilla draining everyone she could get her hands on at a club on 7070 Hollywood Blvd. She is going crazy, draining everyone…." Cordelia rubbed her temples as she looked up at me with tears streaming down her face. "She's a vamp? Connor! Wait…" He paused and turned towards me. I turned my attention back to Dye Job. "Cordelia, right? We'll take care of it…" "No, Angel won't want Connor going after Dru alone…." "He won't be alone, I'll be with him." I grinned and mumbled "Sacred Duty, yada, yada, yada…" "NO!" She screeched as I took off to catch up with Connor.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 9


Dodging through the crowded mall, I filled Connor in. I grabbed his hand and pulled him outside into the parking lot towards my bike. God, I loved this bike. I straddled the black and silver Ducati, started the engine and nodded at Connor to get on. Engine roaring, I took off and headed north to 101. The humid night air felt like silk moving across my body as I made the bike dance in and out of cars. 101 was a parking lot. So, using slayer initiative, we headed down the side of the road. Damn, I hoped there weren't any cops around. Glancing down at the LCD screen I noted our speed was in excess of 100 mph. I wondered if I should slow down; Connor wasn't an experienced rider. He held tight though, as I let out all of the stops zigzagging through traffic. I exited on Hollywood Blvd and followed it for several blocks. Using creative parking skills, I backed into the slim space left between two cars. I hope I wouldn't get a $55 ticket. Not that it mattered. I knew of the club Cordelia sent us too. If Connor was overwhelmed at the mall, he was gonna be shell shocked here. Clockwork Orange was usually packed by now. I waltzed past the enormous line of people. Every nationality was represented, including a few species of demon. The gothic/industrial room was the perfect place for demons to blend in with patrons, and it was my first on my list to hunt through. The bizarre group of people's cat calls and sexual come-ons didn't create any anxiety in Connor as we walked to the head of the line. He seemed to be more at ease among this group of hostile patrons than at the mall. I approached the bouncer, who took one look and shook his head, "End of the line." "Awww… come on. My friend Ben can be very convincing…" I simpered palming him a hundred dollar bill. The mammoth steroid king glanced down at my outstretched hand. "Back of the line." He ordered. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way…." I said with a sexy smile. "Look bitch.." The bouncer was silenced by Connor's quick hands to his throat. My new companion really knew how to make friends and influence people. He lifted the enormous muscle bound idiot off the ground, holding him mid-air, "What did you call her?" The man looked like a fish out of water as he gasped for air. "We're going in. You're gonna' sit down and act like nothing happened, and we won't have to expand your introduction to pain." I said with a smile. The red-faced bouncer nodded his agreement enthusiastically. "Put him down Connor." I demanded, hoping he'd comply. Connor set him down gently, "Really, you should have more respect for women." Rolling my eyes, I grabbed his hand and drug him inside as the crowd roared their displeasure behind us.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 10

The Seer stumbled through her hallow'd grounds (the mall) and outside toward her car. Reaching into the supple, brown, leather of her purse she pulled out a tiny cell phone and began to dial the AI number frantically. Cordelia headed across the parking lot to her car. Unconsciously she rubbed her throat as the voice mail picked up. "Angel, please call me as soon as you can… I ran into Connor at the mall and, to make a long story short, he is going after Drusilla at Clockwork Orange… I'm going there now, and… Angel, I'm so sorry for everything." Tears clouded the seers eyes as she hurriedly unlocked her car and took off after Connor. It didn't hit her until she was driving how sever the consequences of giving Angel's baby to Wesley had been. He was a grown man now, Angel had missed everything… She'd kept telling herself, Buffy would pop back any minute. Buffy didn't know how to fail, the annoying bitch. Cordelia guided her ancient BMW through traffic until she ground to a halt. 101 was packed. "Shit" she exclaimed to herself. The only good thing about this was Connor would be stuck in traffic too.

*****

Buffy's POV

"He's all right a voice said from behind me as I wept over Angel's still form. I whirled around in panic, "Who… What the hell are you?" my voice cracked as I approached the female sitting casually in Angel's old leather stuffed chair. Gold swirls were inked across her blue skin and a faint luminescence hummed from her as if her body was encased in a halo. "I'm and oracle, so to speak." She answered. "And I care because…" "Obviously because I'm here to fix my ass hole siblings' messes." She sighed as she pulled a string of bubble gum from her mouth, wrapped it around her finger and popped it back into her mouth. "Sorry, I just love grape Bubble Yum. I gotta have it when I drop by..." "You be couldn't be more confusing." Her skin flushed a dark blue and she sighed, "You're right. My family sucks at communication. I mean, the Powers mandated we all go through intense etheric therapy, but the results haven't been positive. My brother and sister were restricted to visions only with the seer, and they almost killed her! They totally suck. But to the main point! The name is Ananda. First off, I'm you and Angel-boy's very own Oracle, or your direct link to the PTBs. I'm going to be blunt. That was my sister and brother's main problem- always beating around the bush, being all cryptic. They were SO on a power trip. She is totally punishing them now…" "I'm in a hurry, Point please!" "It's no big deal. I paused the space/time continuum…" "Huh?" "Ask Willow, she'll be able to explain it to you. Now, The Point. She sent me down here to congratulate you on your evolutionary jump," the tiny blue creature clapped her hands excitedly as she leaned forward in the chair.

I contemplated killing her for a moment. She was just too cheerful while Angel's pain was frozen in time. Hadn't he suffered enough? She seemed to pick up on my intense, angry stare and sunk back into the cushioned chair.

"You and Angel finally meshed souls, which, considering the demon, was kind of tricky. You noticed the pain he was in?" I nodded glancing worriedly back at Angel, maybe she was getting to a point. "That was the demon being ripped from his body. There was no way Angelus could survive the purity of Her love moving through you and into Angel…" "Who is 'Her'?" I interrupted. "Well, you'd call her God. She is The Originator, the Most High, The Creator…"

"God is a woman," I sniggered. "Yeah, duh. She knew you and Angel were taking care of things here, so she attended to other business for awhile. What she didn't realize was my asshole brother has had a hard-on for Angel since his first incarnation. And my sister! Well, she'd do anything to get into Angel's pants. The two of them have been fighting over him for the last 80 years…" "What?" She prattled on, oblivious to my confusion, "My brother and sister were the Oracles that Angel went to for advice. When Angel asked for the day back, those two jumped at the chance to take you away from him. As if they could! You two are soul mates! Anyway, you two were supposed to evolve then, but Nooooo…." "What?" I roared again in confusion, how could someone take a day back? "Well, Angel has been ready to evolve since he got back from Hell. Frankly, he's been in a holding pattern waiting for you. Of course he had issues, but nothing like yours. You were a self-involved simpering bitch, "Oh Angel, you came back from hell for me, but I have a new boyfriend…" "Oh, Angel, you paid attention to Faith instead of me, so I love Riley, not you…" You can be such a jackass." "Bite me." I retorted acidly. "Well, it is the truth," she sniped with a small shrug of her shoulders, "Anyway, now that the two of you have ascended, try to think before you let all those nasty things out of your mouth…" She went on before I could reply, "You and Angel will have new abilities when he wakes up. One will be a connection to each other that is unbreakable. You can't read each other's minds at this stage, but you can tell when the other is happy, sad or in distress. You'll be stronger, more aware and have a sixth sense. This goes for your offspring too; you all will be warriors until the next evolutionary jump. He'll be demonless when he wakes. A lot of what he considers to be the evil instincts of Angelus are really just natural, healthy needs and desires for you. Help him out with that… Oh, and check the voice mail as soon as were done, your son is in big trouble." She began to fade into the background. "Hold it! I don't have a son." "Sure you do, Connor," came Ananda's incredulous reply. "He's Darla and Angel's!" Ananda became solid again. "Damn, I almost forgot. Ummmm…. He should have been yours, but my brother and sister totally screwed up with that day thing…" "What day thing? That is the second time you mentioned it!" "Wow, this is harder to explain than I thought. When you came down to see Angel on Thanksgiving that day happened twice. The first time, Angel became human and you guys fucked like bunnies causing you to become pregnant. My brother messed with time and took back the day so the way you remember it is what happened… pretty much. The thing is, you can't dick around with the life force like that. Connor was supposed to be, so he is." I shook my head in confusion, "So Connor is mine?" "More, less…" she answered as she became transparent. "You will be coming back to explain this!" I yelled as she disappeared into thin air. Angel moaned behind me. I looked down and realized I had the entire conversation in the buff, so to speak. Groaning at my stupidity, I turned to my soul-mate. "Buffy, what happened?" "Long story, and not time to tell it. Connor is in trouble. We need to get to him." Angel looked up, "Why is my heart beating?" "You're evolved, no demon. No get dressed!" I yelled as I climbed into clothes I hadn't seen in years and ran downstairs to figure out the voice mail. Why the hell couldn't she just TELL me what was going on with Connor? Somehow I didn't think the new Oracle was a big improvement over the last ones. ***

Gabby's POV

Connor held my hand as I pushed through the horde of writhing bodies. The air was thick with designer perfume, cologne, alcohol and sex. The mingling scents and flashing lights my predatory instincts into high gear. That was the downside to my new slayer-hood. Good old dad had been training me literally since birth to deal with the physical and mental ramifications of being a slayer. Because of that, unusual slayer instincts came to me naturally. This delighted Giles to no end and he had increased the intensity of my training. Unfortunately, nothing they did could prepare me for the increased awareness to the scent of others. I could smell fear, happiness, and lust. A heady aroma of human emotions perfumed the air. Walking through the club, the scent I was most aware of was sex. It triggered a body response I had a hard time controlling and I hated coming to these places because of it. But clubs were a vamp's playground, and I found myself at them more than I liked. A woman dressed in a skin-tight black dress danced up to me. Pressing up against me, she smiled seductively Connor's way. Flipping silky blond hair from her eyes she pulled me hard against her. I glanced back in desperation at Connor, but he was no help. Her dance had a hypnotic effect on him; he couldn't stop staring. I pushed her off me gently. "Thanks, but not interested," I screamed into her ear. "You could both get in on it," she bellowed over the pounding music. "Get in on what?" Connor asked with a zombie like stare. I pulled him away before he took her up on the offer. Sometimes, I'd swear all men are basically the same… I shoved through the crowd to a wall, pushed a few people off of a velvet couch, and stood on top of it. Nothing. Nothing was triggering my tummy's vampire buzz, but the scents were triggering everything else. "Damn! I'm not catching anything." Connor turned and lifted me off of the couch in one fluid motion. "They're in the next room." He grabbed my wrist and headed towards the 80's room, pulling me behind him. Hands reached out, touching us, and I bit back a moan. I struggled to keep my mind off of sex as I trailed behind Connor. I completely understood why people in the crowd reached out to caress him as we passed. Watching his firm, graceful form from behind was sensual torture. He pulled me against him in order to squeeze through the entrance of the 80's room. My breath left me as the swarming crowd shoved me repeatedly into his warm, hard body. God…I ached for him. I wanted to run my hands and mouth over every solid inch… But my stomach began to tingle, and not in the good way… There were vamps everywhere. "Shit! There are too many of them…" "Stay behind me and take out the weaker ones," Connor bellowed as he moved into the room. I grabbed him, shouting to be heard over the din, "We can't attack here, there are too many innocents! We're supposed to keep a LOW profile…" As I yelled over the music, a beautiful, dark-haired vampire came up behind Connor. "Daddy's home," she squealed as she straddled his leg and pressed herself against him. "I want a kiss…" The vamp bitch moaned as she rhythmically humped Connor's thigh. She reached down and caressed his cock, "Ummm… Daddy was never this big," she gasped, black doe-eyes quizzically looking up at Connor. "But you smell like him." She pressed her face to the skin of his neck as she breathed in his scent, "You're my new brother- and sister wants to play…" Little brother? Oh, shit! Angel must have sired her! I glanced at Connor's confused face as the demon began to aggressively stroke him. Why the hell wasn't he staking her?? "Your little brother wants to go home. His daddy will be very mad if he's late," I said sarcastically. "Angel took my Spike away. Maybe he'll never go home again," she growled, slipping into demonic visage. Connor figured it out, "You must be Drusilla. I have to say, you are as pretty as Spike said." I turned and stared at him. What the hell? "Spike said I was pretty!" She actually clapped her hands like a happy little girl. That was it! I couldn't take anymore. Quickly flicking my wrist, I tried to stake her… Before I could blink she grabbed my wrist and used it to press the stake towards Connor's heart. I was afraid to move. I caught the scent of his blood as he flinched from the pressure of the stake. Any more force and, it would be lodged in him. With her razor sharp teeth nicking his perfect neck and the stake pressed towards his heart, I was looking at a rock and a hard place. "Let's play. Little slayer can watch her lover die or watch me turn h…" She burst into dust before she could finish her sentence. Relieved, I looked through the ashes at my sister slayer. Power radiated off the blond, god-like woman dressed in black leather. Smirking, she rested one hand on her hip and glanced around the club. "Learn to call for back up," she advised evenly, her voice somehow transcending the loud music. "You just dusted Spike's old consort," Connor said indignantly. "Well, now he's got his girlfriend back!" Buffy snapped, "Get ready to fight; we're surrounded." Angel moved up behind her, glowering at the vampires who had infested the club. His angry stare shifted to his son, worry evident on Angel's face as he berated his him, "Are you insane or stupid, letting a master vampire hold a stake to your chest while she nuzzled your NECK?" His voice cut through the sound and straight into us as Angel staked a vamp behind him without looking. His movements were faster than Dru's. In fact, he moved faster than he'd ever moved before. I had no submissive instincts… before this. I was terrified by the intense energy radiating from Angel and Buffy. Connor had no such reaction. "Don't you care that your favorite childe is dust," Connor hissed angrily. "You're my only child." Angel rotated to push Connor out of a vampire's grasp, staking it while blocking a forceful blow aimed at his head. His movements blurred past me, faster than I could see. I saw Angel and Buffy share a surprised look. What the hell was going on? That Willow chick must have cast a wicked spell… "More fighting, less arguing!" I growled at Connor, punching him lightly in the stomach. I threw myself into the fray. Bending to the left, I ducked under a well-aimed kick to my head. A quick punch to the crotch area and stake to the heart equaled vampire dust. On the floor, the differences between Angel and Connor were pronounced. Angel fought with silent, deadly ferocity: the safety of his mate and son always coming first. Connor had fought with verve, enthralled purely with ripping the life from his opponent. Angel and Buffy danced with violent synchronicity. Connor and I were hardly necessary as they annihilated twenty demons while we took out a paltry ten between us. It seemed they instinctively knew what was a vamp and what wasn't as they eliminated the undead on the dance floor. I watched the two of them in awe. Connor stood by my side as New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" rang out. Their movements seemed choreographed: a fantastic ballet of fury. With deadly grace, they finished off the last of the pack. "I guess our low profile is blown," Connor mumbled. We silently watched Angel brush vampire dust off of his mate. He looked deeply into her eyes, as if he were checking her soul for damage. I gazed, entranced, watching his lips ask if she was OK. He gently touched her cheek. Smiling radiantly, she ran her hand down the center of his chest resting it above his heart. Both of them were equally deadly, beautiful, and loving. I snuck a peek at Connor and saw his arms were crossed defensively. A mask of indifference settled over his features. I groaned in annoyance. He needed to get over this. Buffy glowed in Angle's presence. She melted into his embrace as he lightly kissed her forehead. I glanced around; the entire room was enthralled by the love radiating from the couple in the middle of the dance floor. No one moved. God, I'd give anything for a guy to look at me like that… Too really see me. Judging from the expressions on the faces of the other women watching them, they seemed to feel the same. Not even a hottie like Connor was worth throwing myself away on if love like that was possible. As for Connor, the boy better get over Buffy. Nothing but pain would result from attempting to come between them… Nothing but Connor's pain.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 11


Buffy's POV

it doesn't mean anything at all the life I've left behind me is a cold room I've crossed the last line from where I can't return where every step I took in faith betrayed me and led me from my home

Angel's eyes delved into my soul; memories trapped in time burst through my psyche: A broken table, ice cream-kisses, the perfect day… Breath left my body as the enormity of his gracious gift entered my conscious mind. I moved my hand over his chest; over the silk covered rhythm of his heart. He let go of every dream he'd ever had because of his love for me. I gazed into his eyes. I doubted his love? How dare I? "Angel… I'm sorry I forgot." His big, strong hands pulled me close to him. I pressed my face to his chest enthralled by the pulsing flesh… "Umm.. we'd better get out of here." Gabby said from behind us. Abruptly Ananda's voice sounded all around me: "All of you, back to the hotel!" "Did you hear that?" Angel said looking around for the source of the eerie voice. "Yeah, let's go." "Hear what?" Connor asked suspiciously a furrow creasing his brow. "I got one of those feelings we're needed at the hotel." I said, ignoring Connor's question. "Great special effects, man!" a drunk bellowed bumping into Angel. "Well, lets head." The curly red head piped in pushing the inebriated individual out of our way. Cheers and whistles erupted out of the crowd. The drunk's stare doused me in reality. Damn, we were in no way inconspicuous. Glancing around, I grabbed Angel's hand and bowed. "Yeah!" A group of beautiful women squealed as they surrounded us. With a quirky little wave, the younger slayer followed suit, grabbed Connor and followed us out of the club. That one had a lot of potential. Too bad Connor didn't notice her sly glances and flirty smiles. "Well, I've certainly learned my lesson about back up. There is no way in hell… I mean; I'll be calling for back up from now on." I smiled at her attempt to be sensitive to the whole trip through the underworld thing. The leggy red head's fierce smile reassured me that Connor was in good hands. "She reminds me of the Pirate Queen Gráinne Ní Mháille…" I glanced up at Angel, "She looks like a Pirate Queen called Grain Mill?" He looked down at me with a smile, "I've missed your quirky ignorant comments…." "You're calling the mother of your child IGNORANT!" I slapped my hand over my mouth, as if that could erase my stupid comment. "She reminds me of old Celtic legends of Grace O'Malley…" he trailed off; looking down at me in surprise, "Huh?" Gabrielle and Connor stared at us in shock. "The idea of a delicate shift in conversation is an elusive concept to you…" "You had his baby?" Connor spat If only the brat knew, "Well, no…" "You're pregnant!" Gabby squealed excitedly earning a look of disgust from Connor. "Well, not that I know of…" "Then how in the Goddess's name are you…" Angel's attention shifted to his son. My man is a sharp one. I didn't think it was possible for him to get any paler, I was wrong. His jaw clenched and unclenched as his deep brown eyes darted between Connor and I. Every muscle in his body tensed as he processed the possibilities. "You guys have transportation, right?" Angel asked. "Yeah…" "Then we'll see you back at the hotel." *** and sweet sweet surrender is all that I have to give

"The Oracle said we'd be connected, but she specifically said we wouldn't be able to read each other's minds yet." "You're telling me Connor is our son…" Angel said for the tenth time during the course of our conversation about everything the Oracle told me. I stared at him incredulously as he drove through LA. His face was a mask of concern as he raked a hand through his dark tousled hair. "Yes," I grumbled, "and he thinks I'm ignorant." "I got more information for you two…" Angel's body twisted in alarm and he reached towards the back seat causing the car to veer into another lane. Vehicles honked at us as I grabbed the steering wheel and maneuvered us back into our path. "Stop!" I yelped, grabbing his thick forearm, "She's our Oracle! Sorry Ananda." "You two kicked some ass back there…" she exclaimed, not pausing to even flinch from Angel's aborted attack. "I don't have a gift." "You don't need one Angel-boy, unless you want to sport some leather pants on my birthday…" "Are you going to pop in on us every few minutes, or is this a busy night for you?" I glared at the Oracle. It must be in her family's genes to lust after Angel. "Hey! I'm here on official business. Sahjan is coming after Connor. He'll be cracking through your little portal above the blood pentagram any time now…" "I forgot to wash that off." "You really should pay more attention to the ex-vengeance demon; she's a great asset to your little family." "Why is scar face after Connor?" "Some old prophecy says the son of two vampires will kill him…" "But Connor's my son." I snapped. "Yeah, like I said, sort of your son." "Explain yourself," Angel bellowed almost crashing into a car beside us, his driving abilities impaired by the overwhelming information being provided by Ananda. "Yeah, there is a little bit of Darla DNA thrown in there, it couldn't be avoided…" Angel shook his head: "My son is in love with his mother… Christ." "Yeah, that is gross." Ananda added from the back seat. "Thanks. I realize how terrible it is. God…" "So you knew he was in love with you?" Angel growled. "Not until Spike pointed it out when we were crossing the Acheron." "He was right, self-involved…" I glared daggers at Ananda and she changed the subject. "Anyway, here is tonight's main point: Ancient texts refer to three great souls who are designated to be Saoshyants, which; loosely translated, means saviors. The third of these will destroy evil and bring forth the reign of righteousness. The coming is referred to in the Farvardin Yasht, or as you all would say: Armageddon. This third will be assisted by friends, who are demon killing, intelligent, well spoken & well doing yadda, yadda, yadda…. …. in other words Angel's crew and your Scoobies. The three of you are those great souls that will eventually defeat Ahriman…. "Who is Ahriman?" "Well, your culture would call her "Lucifer" and the battle would be something like Armageddon.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 12


you take me in no questions asked you strip away the ugliness that surrounds me

"Ah, yes. Y-y-your Oracle is quite right in her assessment of the situation. In Ancient Persian Mazdaist traditions there was a supreme God, Ahura Mazda, who chose to be good. A slightly lesser being, Ahriman, chose to be evil. According to this text, everything, including demons, have the choice to be good or evil. Ahura Mazda was considered to be good and did not abide with or create evil. While Ahriman set out to counter every good thing Ahura Mazda did with something malevolent. Ananda was correct, Ahriman is our culture's representation of Lucifer." Giles said as he skimmed the text he was reading from. "Quite interesting, it says demons have a conscious choice whether they are evil or not?' "Yes, yes it does." Giles answered Wesley as he cleaned his glasses. My first watcher glanced at the group, "And Ananda indicated that we would be involved?" "Yeah, Giles, " I said pushing a strand of blond hair out of my eyes, "I know it is a lot to take in. Especially that Connor is partly mine from a day that never was, and the fact that a demon is going to come through that portal any second and start all of this…" "Why aren't we washing the blood off of the floor!" Anya screeched. "Ummm… I have to side with my girlfriend here." "Well, that would be a first." Cordelia's voice rang out through the lobby, "You never sided with me when we went out. And thanks for letting me know you had left Clockwork Orange Angel. If Giles hadn't called and asked me to…" "Cordelia, thank you for coming." Giles interrupted as he stood, "I understand that there is bad blood between you, Wesley and the group. I hope you both will find a way to diminish the harm you've done and find your place among the us again…" "Yeah, suddenly you need me and I'm just supposed to…" "Cordelia, you aren't diminishing anything with that attitude." Gabrielle said. "Who are you anyway?" Cordy said as she turned on the red head. "She's the new slayer." Connor growled. Cordelia paled and took a step back, "I'm sorry Connor. Traffic was bad, I have a headache from a vision of Faith showing up and an ugly demon popping into the lobby…" The energy crackled through the portal before Cordy could finish her sentence. "Well, there is nothing like having a cheerleader ruin your dramatic entrance." came Faith's voice from the stairs. "Really, you need to get a lock on that door." I said glaring at Angel. I turned my attention to dark haired woman who had sat down on the marble steps in the lobby, "How did you get out?" She lowered her eyes for a moment trying to suppress a grin, and looked up into mine, "Good behavior." I wanted to be angry, but I couldn't. An inelegant snort left me and I clamped a hand over my mouth trying to stop… but I began to giggle. Faith looked up with a wry smile that turned into hearty laughter when she saw I was having a true laughing fit. It echoed around the room as everyone joined in, breaking the tension between us. The air shimmered with energy again and a loud boom went through the foyer as a red robed figure dropped into a heap in the center of the atrium. We had armed ourselves in preparation of the demon's entrance. I threw my battle-ax to Faith and made my way to the weapons cabinet for a broad sword. "How unprecedented, three slayers. Killing you all will make me a legend." Scar face smirked. "Yeah, good luck with that." Gabby said smiling as she approached the demon. I grabbed the weapon and turned back to the fray in time to see Gabby being thrown against the stairs to the second floor. She did not move. I prowled around the demon stalking him from the perimeter of the room. Connor, ignoring years of my training, roared into battle. He was enraged at Gabby's fall, maybe the boy had some sense after all. He lasted a little longer against the demon and Angel threw himself into battle to protect his son. Faith caught my eye and I shook my head in silent communication. We struck from behind. My sword almost found its mark in the demons back, but Connor gave me away with his eyes. Scar face ducked and threw Connor like a broken doll against the stairs next to Gabby. "Connor…" Angel yelled. "Connor. Is that your whelp?" scar face asked, "How can he still be alive…" The demon strode across the floor to our son, picked him up and began choking the life out of him. Angel roared into action attacking the demon full force. A wave of love washed over me as I watched the demon drop my son to shield himself from my lover. The glowing began. It moved through me, through Angel and into the beast. It roared in pain and fell to its knees. I wondered briefly to myself how this demon still lived if Angelus couldn't survive the glow before. I took advantage of its pain and struck from the side, but the broad sword bounced off him and landed next to where the beast dropped Connor. The light intensified until Angel and I were incandescent blinding everyone in the room, but our son who lay shadowed by the demon. Our boy weakly reached for the blade and pulled it up as the demon fell to assault him; running himself through with the sword Connor wearily held. "What the hell was that!" Faith hissed as the light faded, staring at me in fear. "Yes, well put. What the hell was THAT?" Giles asked. *** are you an angel am I already that gone I only hope that I won't disappoint you when I'm down here on my knees Angel sat in his over stuffed brown leather chair relentlessly studying some ancient tome that Giles recommended we research for an explanation of our newfound powers. I lay on my stomach on his bed hoping for at least a lurid glance, but no! He had to be prepared for big ole' Lucifer. "Freaking hell gods messing up my sex life," I grumbled to myself. "This is amazing. According to Zoroastrianism, there is a supreme being that reigns over lesser beings that reign over us… Do you think Ananda would know more about this?" He asked not even glancing up from the ancient manuscript. I bounced my feet on his bed in impatience as I considered doing a strip tease to get his attention. So it was the end of the world again, I mean really, it gets old after awhile. The door opened and Connor stood in the doorway. I watched him carefully avoid my eyes as he studied his new shoes intently. "Connor, how are you feeling?" "Better, thanks. Gabby is still recovering. I… I didn't think I thanked you for your help. I couldn't have done that on my own downstairs…" Angel's face was guarded for a moment, "You would have been fine. I was just being overprotective. Thanks for not getting angry with me for jumping in..." Our son glanced up in astonishment, "That isn't true. I don't know you that well yet. And I didn't like you butting in between, Buffy and me. But Cordelia spelled things out for me, she stated that nothing really had happened yet between you and her, you were just giving her the puppy eyes, which seems like an odd token of affection, and leaving 'cryptic' hints. So I don't have to worry about you hurting Buff." Nothing happened YET? I stared at Angel who had joined the eye contact avoidant ranks. Well, this was an interesting turn of events. "Umm… Connor, puppy eyes are a metaphor. You remember how Spike would follow me around with big love-struck eyes every once in awhile?" Connor nodded his head in acknowledgement still enthralled by his shoes. "That is what puppy eyes means. It means your father was following Cordy around like a love-sick puppy, not that he actually GAVE Cordelia eyes from a puppy. It would really gross Gabby out if you did that." Connor flushed a deep read, "That makes more sense, thanks for the tip." He exited quickly shutting the door behind him. It looked like Connor was successfully starting a fight between his father and I. If he realized his victory, he would continue his little skirmish creators. I got up from the bed and headed out to check on Gabby and pound on something in the training room. "Buffy…" I shut the door pretending not to hear Angel call for me. I continued down the hall to Gabby's room. I knocked and waited. "Come on in!" came Faith's voice. I opened the door to a slayer's dream room. Somehow Gabby had set up a kickboxing station in the corner and entertainment station against the wall and a closet filled with black leather, high-heeled boots and weapons. She sat propped up on lavender silk pillows icing her back. "Are you rich or something?" I asked in wonder looking around the room. "Yeah, pretty much one of the richest families in the world." "She's got everything, MP3 player stocked with angry chic music, laptop hooked up to some kick ass demonology sites, some sort of DSL hook up…" Faith ranted as she pounded away on the keyboard, "I got some great info on that Ahriman guy." "How did you manage that?" I asked flopping down on a big purple velvet stuffed chair. "I snuck the DSL guy in when Angel was off hunting down some bitchy lawyer woman. I just couldn't stand working on that 56K modem Cordelia has downstairs, so I had everything upgraded down there too. All courtesy of dear old dad." "Who is your father?" I asked intrigued. Gabby's face fell a little. "If I tell you, you are going let me explain the differences between my dad and my grandfather, OK? Promise me you'll let me explain…" "We promise." Faith said exuberantly, "Now dish." Gabby looked pointedly at me. "I promise." "OK," she sighed as she rubbed her head, "My name is Gabrielle Greene. It is tradition for the women in my family to keep their family name, so I'm named after my mother's family. They are part of an old Celtic Pagan family that has passed on their traditions through the centuries. My dad was sent to their family to train. The met, fell in love and eloped much to the irritation of my very proper English grandfather who moved heaven and hell, quite literally, to break them up. They ran away, hid in America and had me. My mom foresaw that I'd be called as a Slayer and confirmed it with my grandfather, Quenton Travers, who. hit the roof…" "Quenton Travers as in Watcher's Council… Your father was being trained to be a watcher?" my voice rose little by little as I stared at Gabby fixedly. "He hates his father and everything the Council stands for…" "Do you have any contact with Travers?" I asked as Faith backed away from Gabby. "He tried to contact me through my last watcher, and we all know how that ended up. Look, I am an embarrassment to him. I chose Rupert Giles and the Scoobies to assist me. The only way I have contact with the council at all is through Giles…" "Does Giles know?" She glanced down at her hands, "He knows my parents by different names. In fact he trained with my father, but no he doesn't know my dad is Travers' son. I stood up and glanced around the room, "Because of who you are, you have everything you need to be a slayer. Faith hardly had money to eat. I saved the world on a weekly basis and never had the kind of assets you…" I stumbled over my words, "That isn't the point, though. I realize that you haven't given me a reason not to trust you, yet. It is going to be hard accepting the wealth your family obviously acquired while women like us bled and died for them…" Gabrielle nodded her head, "Especially when it would have made the slaying so much easier. That is why you weren't trained. My father found out that Quenton purposely did not contact your family so you would fall, purposely did not send Faith a second watcher so his granddaughter would be sure to be called. They knew Kendra was too brainwashed to think on her own in the field, they weren't worried about her surviving. But they didn't count on your innate capacity, your sheer determination… You two have exceeded trained slayers in every way. That told me a lot about watchers right there. Excluding love and all normalcy from a warrior's life gives them nothing to fight for except the fight itself- and that isn't enough." "Damn, kid, how'd you get so smart so young?" Faith asked in a sarcastic tone, letting her guard down a little. "Listening to stories about you guys." She said seriously. ***

and I don't understand by the touch of your hand I would be the one to fall


Giles sat with Wesley on some couches in a room just off the lobby.

I walked in and flopped down next to them.

"Buffy, how are… things?"

I rolled my eyes, "The same."

"Yes, well, what does the same mean?"

"It means the world is ending, I've totally screwed up Connor, and did you know that Gabby is Quentin Travers' granddaughter? Need any help with the research…"

"Well, there isn't anything in English. Did you happen to pick up and demonic language skills while in hell," Wesley asked, ignoring everything but my offer to research.

"Nope, too busy developing `fighting for my life' skills."

"Yes, those are important…"

Giles stared at me intently, took off his glasses and began to polish them, "Really, I'm not sure which is more disturbing; you wanting to research, or Gabby's ancestry."

He got up and headed for the door.

"Giles?"

"Um, I've a few calls to make. Excuse me."

"Ya know what? I'm hungry. I bet Connor hasn't had anything to eat either- unless he went hunting. God, I hope he didn't," I said worriedly.

All of a sudden my stomach was desperate for nourishment.

"Good God, you haven't eaten since you've been back."

"Yeah, and it was one of the things I was really looking forward to…"

"Really, we are the most insensitive… didn't Angel offer you anything?"

"No, I didn't think of it. Sorry. Buffy, what do you want," Angel asked as he appeared in the doorway.

It seemed that he had kept his stealthyness.

"Can we order a pizza?" I blurted anxiously.

"Yeah. Are you sure that's what you want?"

"God, yes! I've been telling Connor all about it. He doesn't understand how something can be round and flat…"

Angel gave me a half smile smirk, "Come on."

I followed him across the lobby and into his office. He grabbed a phone book out of the top drawer and started flipping through.

"Look in the yellow pages under `P' for pizza."

"I am aware of how a phone book works."

"Really, how modern of you…"

Angel paused setting down the phone book, "Why did you ignore me upstairs?"

"I don't know." I answered, grabbing the phone book from him and finding a Pizza Hut. I picked up the phone and ordered. After ordering a dozen large pizzas, I hung up and sat down on top of his desk, directing my attention back at him.

"Twelve pizza's? Is that necessary?"

"Well, I suspect you haven't eaten either and Xander is here..."

"I see your point," he answered, "Wow, my first food in centuries is going to be- pizza."

He centered me until I was in front of him on the desk than pulled me down so I straddled him on his chair.

"I love you. I want us to work, but you have to stop walking away from me when you get upset."

I sighed, shifting on his lap, trying to get comfortable. "I don't want to talk about what I need to change…" I pouted.

He raised one eyebrow in disgust. Why, did everything this man do look sexy to me? I knew when I was beat. Groaning inwardly, I attempted to explain.

"I know you're right. I'm just so embarrassed about everything that happened with Connor in the…"

I squirmed in embarrassment, which was starting to turn us both on, from the feel of things.

"So tell me what you did with Connor that is so embarrassing," Angel asked, stilling my hips with his hands; his face carefully stoic. Some things never change.

"We were in the Dark Forest and I was sleeping…" I trailed off, wishing I hadn't mentioned anything.

Angel gave me one of his "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me, so you might as well get it over with" looks as he waited patiently for me to finish.

"I don't want to talk about it."

He leaned back in the chair. I could feel desperate tension move through our new link as he said sternly, "What happened in the Dark Forest?"

God knows he was probably thinking of something far worse than what I had to tell him. So I blurted it out at about 100 mph: "I fell asleep and thought I was dreaming of you but really Connor was mackin' on me… and I woke up and started glowing because I was so grossed out- I mean I've changed his diapers!"

"Mackin'?" Angel said with a low growl, "That doesn't mean sex, does it?"

"NO! It means he was trying to have sex…",

"While you were asleep?" he roared, gripping my arm hard.

"Yes," I answered looking down at my hands in embarrassment.

"And you weren't aware he was…umm…"

"I was dreaming and I thought it was you. I woke up when I realized the body that was touching me was warm and pushed him off. I don't know what to do about it, especially now that I'm partially his mother..."

"Did he try… did he try to make you…"

"It didn't get that far," I quickly assured him. I felt his tension diminish at my admission.

"Why would he do that? I mean… I'm sorry that happened to you."

I looked into Angel's dark eyes, "It isn't your fault. He is a good guy. We've had each other's backs for years. It is going to be hard on him living here- sharing me…"

"I can understand not wanting to share you," Angel murmured as he gently caressed my cheek, "Do you really dream of me," he asked.

"Yeah," I whispered, tracing the length of his arm with my palm. I couldn't help myself when I was around him… There was something about the way he held himself with that vulnerable, lazy arrogance. It made me hot just looking at him.

"What do I do in your dreams?" he asked as he stared deeply into my eyes.

I grinned, my eyes misting over, "Oh, you talk politics, discuss literature…"

"Is that all," he questioned, lightly grazing my mouth with strong fingers. He moved slowly, as if he had all the time in the world.

"No, sometimes you kiss me…" I said, looking hungrily at his full lips.

"Where?"

I warmed up to his line of questioning, "On my forehead."

"Here," he asked, pressing his lips to my skin.

"Yeah, and sometimes along my jaw line."

His mouth followed the curve of my cheek to my jaw and my chin. He hovered there waiting. His large hands cradled my lower back, stroking softly patterns there.

"Once in awhile on my lips, really softly."

He moved up, tasting my mouth lightly with small butterfly kisses…

"And sometimes harder," my voice, breathy with want, rang out.

"Shhh… You have to be quiet; we are in my office," he chided as he plundered my mouth with his. I felt baptized in fire as his mouth blazed across every part of me.

He kissed as if he was exploring me, testing my reaction to every searing touch of his mouth on my body. I arched against him violently when he gently suckled his mark, nipping at the place where he'd taken my blood repeatedly. I raked my hands through his hair, kissing him back fiercely; thrusting myself against him. It always amazed me how hard he got. He felt like flesh-covered granite. Angel slowed my hips and pressed the heel of his hand against my center grinding it against me. How did he know what I wanted next when I wasn't even sure…

"Did I do that?" his velvety voice murmured in my ear.

I groaned at the pressure of his hand, unable to reply right away.

"No, but reality is better than dreams with you…"

A low chuckle rumbled in his chest, "That is a terrible line…"

He trailed a line of kisses down my chest as I arched against him, almost climaxing.

"Is this OK?" he asked pulling back from me.

I blinked, caught off guard and looked hard into his eyes. "Yeah, I know you won't hurt me Angel, not like that. I will always want you to touch me."

He pushed me back on the desk pulling off my shirt, "Beautiful… so perfect… how am I supposed to keep my hands off you?"

"You're not."

I gasped as he bent his head to my breasts, his rough tongue lapping at my nipples. The sensation burned through me, my breath came in short gasps as I orgasmed just from his mouth on my breasts. No other man ever made that happen…

"Angel, God…"

He pulled off the rest of our clothes, hastily sliding inside me. He stared into my eyes as his body rocked against mine. Enthralled by the wide expanse of his chest, his perfect abdomen and silky skin, I couldn't stop stroking him, touching everywhere. Greedy hands could not get enough of the perfect smooth expanse of his hard, silky skin. All the beauty in Heaven did not compare to his face as it contorted in pleasure.

"Please, harder…" I begged, pulling at his magnificent form with my hands.

"God, Buffy… I love it when you say that…"

He pulled the long, thick length of him out of me and slammed back inside.

I begged him again, "More, harder… God… Angel…"

I kept my eyes on his beautiful face. Pleasure moved through him into me; and mine into him like waves rolling on the ocean. Bliss rocked back and forth between us until him and I blended into one…

I felt the invasion of a higher presence as the light move through us again. We arched into each other as he caught my keening wail with his mouth, driving against me a final time.

I panted as we began to wind down from our exertions, "I seem to get all glowy when we do that."

He fell trembling against me, "I noticed."

I vaguely heard Xander's voice from the lobby, "Why is there light coming from under the door… GOD! You mean we have to HEAR it and SEE the glowing special effects? I'm gonna need a lot of therapy… Hey! Pizza!"

Angel's head fell to my chest, "Why does he have to be part of the prophecy?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 13


It had been a long evening of pizza, Xander bitching about his therapy bills and later, making love to Angel for hours in his room.

Now, as I snuck out carefully closing the bedroom door behind me, I was on a mission.

I crept through the long dark hallway to the top of the stairs leading to the lobby. This hotel wigged me out, bad vibes o-plenty. I sat at the top of the stairs pulling my lover's black silk shirt down past my knees. I loved wearing his clothes; they so completely blanketed me in Angel-ness.

Taking a deep breath, I hissed her name, "Ananda!"

No answer. I half didn't expect one. She never said how or if we could get a hold of her.

I tried again, hoping the hearing enhanced predators I was surrounded with wouldn't hear me. Frankly, I was still astounded that Angel hadn't woken up when I snuck out of bed…

"Yeah, yeah… What do you want?"

Smurfette had a rumpled, horny look about her. Her usually smooth, long blue hair was a rat's nest, sticking up wildly in every direction. It seemed, from her appearance, as if she had just finished a wild romp in the sack.. It looked good on her!

"Sorry, didn't mean to disturb your extra-curricular activities…"

She glared at me; crossing elegantly golden inked arms, "Sometimes you are a little too perceptive, slayer."

"Grumpy, grumpy…"

"You should talk, you were annoyed all day that Angel-boy wasn't putting out."

I grinned, "Well, the drought`s over for both of us it seems."

"It will be over for me as soon as we finish here, so could we get on with it?"

"OH!," I said in surprise, "Sure! I want to know about the light."

God knows I would'nt leave Angel mid-coitus for anyone. That man could do things with his tongue that…

"Which one?"

I shook my trying to get back on track, "The one that moves through me and into others…"

"You already know…"

"No, I don't!"

The Oracle looked at me disgustedly, "What do you call it in your head?"

"Well, I call it love…"

"See! You already know…" she began to disappear.

"Not so fast! Whose love?"

With a groan she became solid, "You can't be this dense…"

"Obviously I am! Now spill it," I growled, growing testy with the Oracle.

"The thing that makes Ahura Mazda more powerful than…"

"Who is Ahura Mazda?"

Ananda stopped, "Were you listening to Giles at all today?"

"Obviously not. Who is…"

"The Goddess!"

I stared at her blankly.

"In your patriarchal culture, you'd refer to her as God. Anyone fighting the good fight is on her side. It's her love that moves through you and out of you as a brilliant white light."

"Is it dangerous?"

"It's the exact oppoiste of the Judge's power. You do remember HIM, the big blue guy you blew up with a rocket launcher?"

I rolled my eyes at her and snarked, "Distant relative?"

She ignored me.

"He could only harm good people. You, on the other hand, can only hurt evil. You might say you're an outlet for Her love. It moves like a power surge through you, destroying anything evil and empowering anything that has chosen to do good."

"It sounds kind of hokey. Love is all sunshine and flowers, not power."

"How ignorant," she snapped, "When Angel engaged Sajhan, he was driven by love. Under any other circumstance, Angel is intelligent enough not to take on such a powerful demon. Only your love for Connor could motivate you to jump through a portal to hell. Only something as powerful as love could EVER get two stubborn, pig-head people like you and Angel to do ANYTHING…"

"Ranting much?" I giggled.

"Well, a Oracle that isn't getting any is nobody's friend."

I burst into laughter as she faded out of sight.

Love, huh? I'm sure demons everywhere would die of laughter before believing that I'd be defeating Lucifer with THAT! Who knew?


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 14


Connor's POV


Giles, Angel, Buffy and Faith were on patrol; leaving me and Gabrielle behind… On Giles' mandate, Gabrielle and I were restricted to the hotel. He didn't approve of us rushing into Clockwork Orange without calling for "backup". For Christ's sake, I didn't need back up… OK, I'll admit Dru had me at a slight disadvantage, but I would have gotten out of it! I was a grown man and this "Jeeves" person, as Xander called him, was putting restrictions on me… Christ! At this moment, I'd do anything to be in hell with Spike again. He'd have told the old Watcher to fuck off, and I wouldn't currently being bored to death by whatever the ex-watcher was blathering on about. Christ, I'm not sure what the hell the annoying fuck was saying… I haven't paid attention since he disturbed the sparing session between Gabby and I… And can that woman fight, of course she isn't as good as Buff, but she will be. I stole a side-long glance at the gorgeous red head… Gorgeous, where the hell did that word come from? I had to get my head out of my ass, women… Christ! But she was gorgeous, I admitted grudgingly to myself. I'd noticed that she had this nervous habit of twisting a strand of her curly red hair around one of her slender fingers, pulling the curl straight and releasing it… The curl would gently bounce back to rest on her chest. Which brought my attention to the V in the shirt she was wearing… leaving me dry mouthed at the awe inspiring sight of her cleavage… Beautiful. And the beautiful one was frowning at Wesley, a grimace marring what should have been a peaceful continence. I glanced up to cautch the tale end of his speech- just as Gabby interrupted. "Buffy's claim that she is a conduit for some higher power's expression of love is fool hardy, I believe this circumstance warrants further research," Wesley pontificated as he stood at the head of the table, "Willow, Tara- your assignment is to…" "Do you really think you're in charge?" Gabby sniped, "I mean, the last brilliant decision you made got Connor and her sent to hell, so I'm not quite ready to follow your lead and start questioning Buffy." My attention was quickly diverted to the jackass standing at the head of the table. His face turned scarlet as he glared Gabby's way. A low rumbling growl began deep in my chest as I stared a hole through Wesley. How dare he look at Gabrielle that way AND question Buffy? Everyone at the table swiveled to look at me in shock. "You're growling," Xander gulped, "Look everyone, Angel's son is growling…" I ignored the nervous man to my right and focused on the ex-watcher at the head of the table. "It's OK, Xander," Anya piped up, "He isn't make that noise at us, only Wesley." The watcher turned pale, diverting his attention from me to some papers on the table, which he began to nervously shuffle. I felt a hand lightly touch my arm and glanced down into bright green eyes. Gabby smiled at me gently as she softly stroked my arm. I stopped growling, but kept my eyes trained on the errant ex-watcher. "I've come across some information indicating that Buffy's new found powers may be malicious…" he began. "Buffy's powers helped us kill the demon that opened hell, I don't think her powers are in anyway evil. Hell, they gave Dead Boy a heart beat…" "Xander," Willow interrupted with a roll of her eyes, "Stop calling him that!" "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely," Wesley announced, "We need to understand how powerful Buffy is, I don't believe anyone should be trusted with a force of that magnitude…" He was threatening Buffy. Everyone at the table was silent as they stared at Wesley in disbelief. He shuffled the papers some more. "So, we need to move forward with our research…" A deep voice rang out from the door behind us. "What is going on?" I turned in time to see my so-called father stride down the lobby stairs, closely followed by everyone who didn't get "grounded". His face was a stoic mask as he came to a stop and crossed his arms. I couldn't read the man at all, was he angry, annoyed or indifferent? A giggle from besides me drew my attention away from the scene at hand… "What are you laughing at?" I mumbled to the red-head beside me. "You! You're staring at your father as if you're confused," she snickered, "if you must know, he's pissed." Her eyes danced as she looked up at me. I had the sudden urge to trace her perfect mouth while reaching behind her head to twine my fingers through her gorgeous long hair… God, this woman was distracting. "How do you know he's pissed?" I grumbled. "Well, you get the same look when you're angry first of all…" "The hell I do, I don't look anything like him." She rolled her eyes at me: "Whatever, just take my word for it, he's totally ticked." "You drive me crazy, woman," I muttered. "The feeling is mutual," she retorted giving me a look that warmed my heart before her attention was drawn behind me to my father, Buffy, Giles and Faith, "Now the real fun begins…" I swear to what ever Gods may be, if we had been alone, I would have shown her exactly how mutual the feeling was. I groaned to myself and slid down into the chair waiting to see what panned out of the mess Wesley was making. "Did you really just say Buffy couldn't be trusted with this power?" Giles bit out. Wesley's chin went up, "I have it on good authority that her powers come from a questionable source." Giles' face went dark with rage as he crossed the room and came fact to face with Wesley. His countenance seemed to mutate into something dangerous as he came to a stop inches away from the other Brit. "I have been in contact with Trevers also, Wesley, and his sources aren't credible…" The younger watcher picked up the sheaf of papers he had been shuffling through and shoved them into Giles face: "This prophecy proves that Buffy is being misled. Trevers warned me that your paternal connection with your charge was skewing your perspective- and he's right." "Get out Wesley. Get out before I rip you limb from limb," Giles snarled. "You don't have the authority to have me removed…" "I do Wes," Angel interrupted, "this is my home, and you are no longer welcome." "I am your boss!" "Don't make us throw you out," Angel snapped. The growling in my chest increased again and I pushed back my chair- coming to a standing position. Wesley turned and I locked eyes with him. "Run." I hissed. He ran.

***

Gabby's POV


Wesley ran like the devil was after him- a good decision on his part. Connor's arm almost slipped out of my grasp as I grabbed it to restrain him from chasing the skinny Brit down. He looked as if he was about to rip him limb from limb. If it wasn't illegal to kill humans, I might have let him go. "Hey, big guy, maybe you should go down stairs and beat on the punching bag a little bit… get rid of some of those hostile tendencies," My voice rang out through the lobby of the hotel. He turned away from me- focusing his attention on Buffy. There was no way I could compete with the source of his Oedipus complex. Her beauty was ethereal; she was an alabaster angel of death with flawless beauty. She will always come between Connor and any woman who was foolish enough to be in his life. Connor turned away from me and stalked towards the basement stairs, "That isn't a bad idea, wanna finish sparing?" Good sense and hormones battled as I watched him walk away from me… against my good judgment, I agreed, "Hell, yeah. I'm going to kick your narrow ass." A snort came from behind me, "This I'd like to see." I turned in time to catch Buffy grab Faith's arm as she shook her head in the negative, and glanced back my way. "Uh… sometimes it is better to spar alone, ya' know what I mean?" Faith looked at her as if she were crazy. Buffy's groaned in exasperation, "I can't believe you don't know what I mean…" I left my slayer sisters to bicker as I followed Connor's muscular form to the basement. ***

He paused on the cracked concrete sidewalk that led away from the hotel. Was he doing the right thing? Slowly turning, he looked back towards the building he'd come to think of as a second home… He looked back thinking of friends and family. Weak. He was so weak. He ruminated about his weaknesses, real and imagined the whole way home. As he drove through traffic, the ache in his heart increased the further away he got from the AI group. He didn't really have any feelings for the Scoobies, they were a motley crew that bunch, but he cared for Cordelia, Angel, Fred and Gunn… Connor came back fully committed to Buffy, something he hadn't counted on. He really believed that Holtz and the brat would have died in hell, but NO. Buffy had to save the day and bring that… profanity back fully grown. The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men, Gang aft agley… What was he doing quoting a Scot? Christ, he was bloody English, after all. He wasn't a mouse, he was a man… There was a difference, the alcoholic Scot be damned. The Powers would just have to find another way, the Council was clear on it's stand: The world would not be saved by the bastard son of two vampires and a slayer. And he, would be the instrument of "The Destroyer's" annihilation. Wesley ignored the sick feeling in his soul as he stepped into his apartment and began dialing an over seas number. "It's time," he said into the phone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 15


"Measures must be taken to protect Buffy from the council," Giles wearily informed the group before him as Wesley stepped out the front door.

Buffy stared back at him as she gripped her lover's hand with a questioning look etched on her determined face.

When she came back from heaven, she'd been a defeated, vulnerable mess of a human being... Hell seemed to have a better impact on the slayer than heaven. Since her return she was calm, patient, and stronger than any being he'd ever seen. Without a doubt, she would be able to face off a hell goddess on her own now.

The essential difference was she no longer radiated rage. It was quite disconcerting to see her this way, but he was proud of the woman she'd become… and he'd do anything to protect her.

He let his glance pass over the rest of his "children". Willow and Tara sat comfortably entwined in each other on Angel's hideous green rounded couch. Wherever did he find such a thing? Xander and Anya reclined on the stairs of the lobby, looking lustfully at one another. Really, Giles sighed to himself, when would the honeymoon be over? Cordelia and her new beau were perched on the counter, leaning dangerously close to the fax machine while Faith, Gunn, and Fred munched on popcorn at a large conference table Angel had set up when the group first came to retrieve Buffy from hell.

That left Gabby and Connor…

Where were his charge and Angel's, he couldn't quite bring himself to accept the boy was also Buffy's, son?

Additionally, he was not prepared to accept his newest slayer's obvious attraction to, well… the son of two vampires. He realized Connor was Buffy's child also, but for the love of God!

"Is he having a seizure or something?" a snotty voice interrupted his thoughts, "GILES!"

Quickly he glanced Cordelia's way, "Yes, Cordelia…"

"We're waiting for your so-called measures!"

"Quite right," he replied, "Buffy should not patrol alone, and she should always be accompanied by the other two slayers…"

"Connor and I would be better protection," Angel interrupted.

"I don't agree. They are most likely gunning for you and your son also."

He saw Angel flinch at his word choice; a father's fear for his own… something the elder man was quite familiar with. 'Gunning', indeed. The image of his daughter… SLAYER, being gunned slid through his mind in slow motion. He felt himself flinch along with the ex vampire at the word choice, but he went on.

"I think it would be appropriate for someone to follow Wesley," Giles counseled as he looked around the room, "Cordelia, do you and your new… 'friend' think you could handle that job?"

"Of course!" Groo piped up at the same time Cordy bellowed, "No!"

Giles frowned as he removed his glasses and began to polish the glass vigorously. Why did they have to be so difficult?

"I'll take that as a yes, thank you for so graciously accepting my request. I will attempt to find out what the council has planned. Willow and Fred, would you please maneuver your way into the Council's databases with those abysmal machines you are so handy with?"

"It's a laptop, Giles," giggled Willow with a little smirk, "And I'd be happy to if you would, Fred?"

The Texan nodded in agreement while munching on a taco, "Mmph, yuff!"

"Well then, the rest of you please try to assist with patrol, research and…"

"I'll get the donuts," Xander finished as he traipsed up the steps with Anya in tow.

Really, they were the most marvelous children…

* * *

Connor was holding back as he and Gabby sparred. She was a swirl of red hair and violence as they matched punches. He blocked every thrust, kick, and thump she sent his way with little effort.

"I'm going to knock that smirk off your face," she huffed between vigorous attacks.

"Sure you are," he grinned, intentionally inciting the spitfire into a clumsy, rage-filled assault.

She was a sudden flurry of punches, all aimed at his face but he didn't retreat from her advance. With lightening speed, he grabbed her forearms, falling intentionally backwards as he used his weight to flip her over his head. In an instant he was on top of her, pinning her supple form to the mat.

She was hot, sweaty, and panting beneath him when he felt a sharp surge of lust run through his body. He froze, entranced by her flushed skin, trying to stifle the urge to gently bend down and taste her full, rosy lips…

"Gabby!" a stuffy English voice called out from the stairwell, "Would you accompany Buffy and Faith on patrol?"

He clenched his hands tightly on her wrists and their eyes met… Her stare held him captive as he bent down to capture her mouth.

"Gabby!" the voice insisted.

Giles was starting to descend the stairs. Connor pulled back in frustration as he noticed the disappointment in her eyes. He reached out a hand to help her up and an electric current seemed to flow into him from her touch.

"After patrol…" he began haltingly.

"Yeah?" the slayer asked, arching her eyebrow.

"I… well, if you want…"

"Ya want to order a pizza an some movies?" the slayer asked, taking pity on the stammering young man.

"Yeah, that sounds like fun."

"K'! See ya after patrol," she replied as she looked warmly into his

eyes.

* * *

Groo and Cordelia followed the wayward Watcher down the steps of the hotel and into the L.A. night. Groo's lithe form slid through the darkness in front of the sluggish seer. Cordelia pushed a wisp of hair out of her face, what WAS she thinking when she decided to go blond? The seer wagged her head from side to side in disappointment. She'd get it colored back to the deep chestnut that really worked much better with her coloring.

"I'm thinking of coloring my hair chestnut… do you like blonds better?" her voice rang out in a concerned tone. Why did she care what he liked anyway? All that REALLY mattered was her own opinion of herself… she'd learned that the hard way from Harmony, but she couldn't keep from feeling anxious about how the short, dark and burly guy would react to a not so blond "princess".

He paused and half turned toward her, "I do not see why the color of your hair would be a relevant topic at this point, shouldn't we be fixated on Wesley?"

Cordelia blinked. What the hell? Groo NEVER questioned her judgment. She, Queen C, was flustered. Coming to a complete stop with one hand on her hip, her mouth hung open in surprise. Groo's usually kind eyes grew hard as he walked back to where she stood. His intimidating, physical presence was usually tempered by a sweet smile, but not at this instant. She gulped in fear as she instinctively took a small step back.

"I thought you were more than," he gestured at her form derisively, "this. I thought you were pure of heart, of soul… but you are shallow, cruel and careless. Still, I love you. How is it I am attracted to someone who cares nothing for others? How?"

He stopped inches away from the now trembling seer. Anger and fear seemed to physically wrench through the tall brunette as she stood staring into his opaque eyes.

"How dare you?" she practically growled in a weak attempt to hide her fear, "Because of me you had the opportunity to rule your whole dimension, but NO, you blew it…"

"So heartless, so cruel…" he whispered his sweet breath warm against her lips.

A tiny moan escaped her as he threaded one hand through her hair and an arm around her waist. He stilled, lips inches away from hers and cocked his head to the side. Cordelia took a deep shaky breath, what the hell was he waiting for anyway?

"The Watcher…" Groo hissed, turning quickly in attempt to sight the lost Wesley, "The first quest Angel himself sends me on, and I fail!"

The Warrior's eyes darted back and forth as he moved across the quiet street. Wesley's car was gone and with it, Wesley. As she watched Groo turn in defeat, Cordelia felt something she'd never truly felt before… ashamed. It wasn't a good feeling. The couple quickly admitted defeat and headed back to the hotel, trying to get away from the uncomfortable tension that had abruptly grew between them. The seer stormed away from Groo, leaving him alone to explain how they lost Wesley so quickly. Briefly she heard Groo's tinged with disgust words, "We were abruptly distracted by Cordelia's hair color preference…" and she slammed Wesley's "old" office door shut. Wistfully, Cordy began to go through Wesley's things.

Her family was being destroyed! This had to be Buffy's fault! Cordy's life would be monster-free if that blonde wanna-be cheerleader hadn't introduced herself to Sunnydale High. In fact, there probably wouldn't even be vampires if there weren't a slayer!

OK, that didn't even make sense to her, she mused, when a shriek left her lips and she fell to the floor in pain.

Blinding anguish seared through her skull as inexplicable flashes of the slayers falling in a graveyard, Drusilla sewing a hem on a blood- soaked, cloth calendar and Doyle helping a naked, newly-born Spike out of a grave, only to be brought to his knees in pain as a God-like female beat him senseless. The Irishman's blue eyes seemed to stare into hers as she screamed his name. The Goddess turned towards her, corn silk hair flowing down a back that gleamed like marble in the moonlight.

"He could be yours if you can stop me in time…"

Doyle took advantage of the "woman's" diverted attention to pull Spike upright. The two men began to glow as they faded from sight.

"Catch ya later, Lucy," he practically growled, "And you, Princess, have a lot to answer for. Tell Angel where the slayer is NOW."

The vision faded and she became aware of Angel, Giles, Groo and Connor standing over her.

"Harper cemetery… Slayers need you. NOW."

***

"The grave yards are dead," Faith said smirking.

"Like that's the first time I heard THAT one," Gabby grumbled, "Xander says it every time we patrol."

"Hey, how am I to know which puns you've already been subjected to?" Faith asked with mock innocence.

The slayer glared Faith's way as she loped out ahead of her elders scouring the headstones for L.A.'s most recent neck trauma victims. Buffy and Faith lingered behind her, casually stalking through grave markers. An easy silence hung between the two while watching the red head's manic search for something to kill.

"Sexually frustrated much?" Faith snarked as Gabby bent over to pull a vampire out of the dirt by it's neck.

With swift, deft movements she pulled back to stake the vampire through the heart. As her stake penetrated the beast's sternum, the younger slayer's head jerked up. Pain was evident on her face as she fell forward into the ashes that littered the fresh grave from which the vampire had risen… her body still as death.

"Gabby!" both women shouted as they rushed forward.

The fallen slayer didn't respond to their frantic calls as they pounded across the earth to their 'sister'. Buffy pulled ahead, only to feel a sharp flash of pain in her back. She barely registered Faith's strangled cry as she fell into darkness.


Tbc...


please feed Kyria

B/Aus fic archive